Skype CPU usage? High for others, low for me?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype CPU usage? High for others, low for me?

I was reading online to see if Skype drastically slows down your computer when doing things such as playing games, etc. I know that this is based on the power of your computer, but people were saying Skype uses up 50%+ of their CPU usage.

When I open up the task manager and look at my processes, the SECOND I open it up, it says CPU usage is 66%, then after about half a second, it changes to 0%-2%. Which is the correct number?

My computer doesn't seem to slow down, but I want to do if it's affecting any of the games I'm playing.

Programs open:

AVG

Steam

Firefox

Thunderbird

kercmerk
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (2,249 Views)

Re: Skype CPU usage? High for others, low for me?

What you are seeing is a very normal behaviour. The very moment you open the Task Manager it starts using CPU in order to collect information about running programs and processes and this usually takes only a fraction of a second. As long as Skype is idling, i.e. not used for any communication activities, the CPU usage should be close to nothing. Only occasionally, when Skype is updating the status of contacts or similar, the CPU load can be few %, but only for a very short time. When on a call, and especially video call, the CPU load may rise dramatically. 50% and even up to 70% is not unusual but this depends very much on the system configuration and quality of the video.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6294
Message 2 of 6 (2,240 Views)

So I take it that it will drastically affect my gaming experience?
kercmerk
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (2,231 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 4 of 6 (2,230 Views)

6 I believe? I just use it to talk to a few buds from a previous school I went to.
kercmerk
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (2,228 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you are game, can we try installing this, which I am the author of, and see what kind of messages are going back and forth. Please note SEHE can be removed at any time using the Windows Add/Remove programs from your Windows Control Panel. This will allow us to see what is going on behind the curtains.

Please copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

skype.saveontelephonebills.com/SEHE/publish.htm

You can stop the logging at anytime ("Uncheck the Logging On checkbox") and then right click on the bottom window do a select all, and copy/paste here if you like or simply tell me what most of the messages are, your choice?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 6 of 6 (2,225 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling