Skype Bluescreen Windows 7 Computer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype Bluescreen Windows 7 Computer

I installed the most recent Skype and now I get the blue screen when I try to launch it. It doesn't give me any fields for logging in or password. I've gone through all the recommended fixes that Skype has listed including resetting explorer. Help?

Please use plain text.
Gneiss
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (4,838 Views)

Re: Skype Bluescreen Windows 7 Computer

Follow the instructions on this post: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Empty-blank-login-screen/td-p/1008842

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

If you found my post useful, please give "Kudos".
If it helped to answer your problem/question, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" so other people can find it easily.
Please use plain text.
NewHorizon
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 107
Message 2 of 10 (4,828 Views)

Gneiss wrote:

I installed the most recent Skype and now I get the blue screen when I try to launch it. It doesn't give me any fields for logging in or password. I've gone through all the recommended fixes that Skype has listed including resetting explorer. Help?

Please, answer first these questions:

What version of Windows are you on (XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 )? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6399
Message 3 of 10 (4,817 Views)

Windows 7, 64 bit. Explorer was v11 until yesterday when I downgraded to v9 as an attempted fix. None of this worked. 

HOWEVER, since then I read about adding on /legacylogin to my "target" with a shortcut to Skype and that worked. I was not able to resolve the issue with the new login, but at least I can log in now.

Please use plain text.
Gneiss
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (4,794 Views)

Be aware that with the "legacylogin" screen you will not be able to use Microsoft account login (if required in the future).

There are now 2 most common reasons for the "blue screen" issue:

1. Internet Explorer cannot execute JavaScript.

2. In some cases with the latest Skype 6.13/6.14 versions, the files required for the login screen may be corrupted.

Try now to uninstall the currently installed Skype version and reinstall the older 6.11.0.102 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.11.0.102.msi

However, before uninstalling, please do this:

Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type %userprofile%\appdata\local and then press Enter or OK button. Windows Explorer will pop-up. There locate a folder named "Skype". zip this folder and attach this zip file to your post here.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 10 (4,775 Views)

Attached find the zipped skype folder from the local appdata folder. There are some weird things going on there.

Please use plain text.
Gneiss
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (4,763 Views)

Also funny, but not really...but I download from the version 6.11 link and logged in...and upon login it immediately made me accept some updates of files...so I clicked to go ahead...and once those updates were complete...it became version 6.14 again and gave me the blue screen. Ha funny joke. anyway, I deleted the 6.14 again and reinstalled v11 and this time it didn't make me accept some updates and we'll see how long it goes before making me update the files again. 

Please use plain text.
Gneiss
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (4,756 Views)

The Skype folder with the files required to create the login window is corrupted, or more precisely, the folders with JavaScript files (.js files) are missing.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/blue-screen/m-p/2957849#M237362

Apparently this happens when Skype 6.14 version is installed. There is no logical explanation available (at least not yet) on why this happens, but Skype developers recommend this workaround:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Can-t-login-because-there-re-no-text-boxes-to-d...

It appears, that if you entirely delete these files and re-run Skype, the missing folders will be re-created and you should be able to use the 6.14 version.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 10 (4,742 Views)

I initially had a bad audio quality along with trying to log in.

I deleted Skype.

Firstly, I did a full security scan to make sure I had no viruses which took almost 5 hours.

I downloaded the latest version of Skype and still had the problem.

I tried resetting IE but that didn't work.

Then I tried creating a shortcut for the Skype sign-in window and it worked.

I have a 64 bit operating system and typed in the appropriate link and it worked

Please use plain text.
711cooperhawk
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (4,585 Views)

Resolution for Blue screen on the log in page.

Running the LoginCleanup file

To be able to clean the login files on you machine, you will need to download and run (double-click) the Login Cleanup file. By choosing to downloading and run this tool you are accepting the associated End User License Agreement.

Click the link to download:

https://az545065.vo.msecnd.net/skype-faq-media/faq_content/skype/other/logincleanup.zip

To run the LoginCleanup file:

1. Click the link above.

2. Click Open in the download dialog.

3. In the folder that opens, double-click the LoginCleanup file.

4. A Windows Security warning will appear. Click Run.

5. The LoginCleanup file will run, close Skype, and restart Skype.

6. Wait for Skype to restart and try logging in again.

If you feel that this resolved your  concern, kindly give kudos. Thank you

Please use plain text.
Hanz_christian1
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 10 (4,170 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling