Skype 6.5 for Windows - Beta feedback

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype 6.5 for Windows - Beta feedback

[ Edited ]

Today we’ve released the preview of Skype Video Messaging for Skype for Windows desktop on Windows 7 or above. This feature will also be made available shortly for Skype for Windows 8. Skype Video Messaging lets you record a video message and send it to people who matter to you on Skype anytime, even when they’re unavailable; they will be able to watch the Video Message next time they’re online.

Here’s what you can expect to see:

Recording a Video Message using Skype for Windows 7.

Receiving a Video Message using Skype for Windows 7.

To get the preview version of Skype Video Messaging, download the latest beta version of Skype for Windows desktop on Windows 7 or above (Please note: this feature will require Flash; the beta version of Skype for Windows desktop with Video Messaging in preview may not be available in all markets). This feature is also in preview for users of Skype for Mac, Skype for iPhone, Skype for iPad and Skype for Android. Skype for Windows 8 and Skype for Windows Phone users can also receive and view Video Messages; the ability to record and send Video Messages will be coming to these platforms soon.

As we continue to test Video Messaging in its early release, we’d love to hear your feedback so we can continue to make improvements. Please let us know what you think of this feature.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12458
Message 1 of 48 (18,320 Views)

Re: Skype 6.5 for Windows - Beta feedback

I have downloaded the beta version 6.5.0.107 and it does not allow me to send a video message. I am running Windows7.

vee73
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 2 of 48 (18,279 Views)

Skype 6.5 beta still freezes explorer. Can't you fix that?

thaler
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 48 (18,157 Views)

skype 6.5 is not downloading always it redirecting can you guide proper wany to install skype 6.5

bareerahassham
Reliable Adventurer
Message 4 of 48 (18,147 Views)

I have the software installed, and the "send video message" option is grayed out. Any idea on why?

DarenLoney
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 48 (18,123 Views)

[ Edited ]

Only for Windows 7 and 8 and requires Flash?

What is this?

Also this would be a good time to enable offline messaging, because it would be really stupid if you could send a video message to someone that's offline but not a normal message.

Boudewijn
Routine Adventurer
Message 6 of 48 (18,099 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yeah if we are now able to send a video message offline, we should also be able to send a normal IM message offline! You know like MSN had.. you know? :wink: Or MSN users actually have some kind of offline messaging already though (those who either merged with an existing Skype account or made a new from MSN), but native Skype accounts do not have offline messaging. THEY SHOULD NOW THAT SKYPE IS (afaik know) USING THE MSN BACKEND AND SERVERS! :wink:

And also, this is all the news for the release? Video message + those two fixes only? Like.. what? How about starting to implement some of the missing MSN features huh, most importantly

1) email notifications popup AND button for it

2) offline messaging

3) photo and youtube video-sharing straight into the chat without sending files (just posting links or dragging pic and it shows in the chat)

4) font customization (color etc).. c'mon Skype! =)

Grasli
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 48 (17,971 Views)

Skype seems to work, but the rest of my desktop is frozen - cannot do anything else while skype is open - is there a fix for this please..

Mannaher
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 48 (17,776 Views)

Mannaher wrote:

Skype seems to work, but the rest of my desktop is frozen - cannot do anything else while skype is open - is there a fix for this please..

Try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates

There is already a bug report on this issue submitted to Jira.

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-4113

The only working solution seems to be to revert to the older Skype 6.1.0.129 version.

See also this on potential conflict with such applications as Freecorder:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-causing-Windows-to-lock-up/m-p/1542810#M1...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5947
Message 9 of 48 (17,740 Views)

Hello.  I have Skype version 6.3.0.105.  When I check for an update, it reads that Skype is already up-to-date, yet I am reading on the forums here that there is a version 6.5.  Is that available for Windows 7 or just for Windows 8?  If it is available, how can I download it?  

calliecrkkuczek
Experienced Adventurer
Message 10 of 48 (17,226 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling