Skype 6.3 "Crash"

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype 6.3 "Crash"

I updated to the most recent update (6.3) and i immediately began having problems. The biggest one being that if i attempted to even minimize the skype window the window would disappear and my computer screen would lock up. I couldn't access any buttons and even the task manager froze whenever i brought it up. I tried reinstalling and restarting but the problem persisited. I would say it just crashes and freezes my computer but when i went to restart the computer showed it working fine. I'm not sure if it's just because the update is so new or if this is a problem with my computer. Any help?

Poker454
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (566 Views)

Re: Skype 6.3 "Crash"

two months whit the same problem!!!! FIX IT SKYPE!!!!
toshiakimit
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 6 (559 Views)

Poker454 wrote:

I updated to the most recent update (6.3) and i immediately began having problems. The biggest one being that if i attempted to even minimize the skype window the window would disappear and my computer screen would lock up. I couldn't access any buttons and even the task manager froze whenever i brought it up. I tried reinstalling and restarting but the problem persisited. I would say it just crashes and freezes my computer but when i went to restart the computer showed it working fine. I'm not sure if it's just because the update is so new or if this is a problem with my computer. Any help?

Uninstall the currently installed version the temporarily revert to version 6.1.0.129. Based from what I read from the posts of experts from this forum, it seems that there are some bugs in the latest version (6.3). You can download the installer from the link below.

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

You can just update your Skype software again once Skype release a fix or a new update.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!

ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Skype-User
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 405
Message 3 of 6 (549 Views)

I just want to verify this problem exists on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 (desktop version). Immedaitly after the update, 3 of my friends came to me asking for help, but I couldnt help, as my skype is also broken. Windows 7 users have to pretty much restart their computer to get un-frozen, but windows 8 task manager appears to run on a different thread, so it doesnt lag out like the rest of the computer, meaning you can force quit skype.

VergilPrime
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 6 (527 Views)

I have an XP, Windows7 and Windows8 machine. It is only the Windows7 machine that becomes unresponsive. I just tried to install the latest version again and it still does not work. The way to kill it is to press CTRL-ALT -DEL during sturtup, switch to Processes and kill Skype. Then uninstall SKYPE, download the earlier 6.00.120 version and install it. That works for me. I wonder how long it will take until I can update SKYPE without problems.

Skype4all
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 6 (453 Views)

There is already a bug report on this issue submitted to Jira.

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-4113

The only working solution seems to be to revert to the older Skype 6.1.0.129 version.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5601
Message 6 of 6 (425 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling