Skype 6.0.73.126 / WinXP excessive CPU usage

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype 6.0.73.126 / WinXP excessive CPU usage

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but with Skype 6.0.73.126 loaded, my WinXP PC regularly has one of its CPUs pegged by the application.  Even when I'm doing nothing on the PC, I'm seeing significant CPU usage by the skype executable.  Any ideas what might be causing this and how I can reduce or eliminate it?

BrianSteele
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (1,486 Views)

Re: Skype 6.0.73.126 / WinXP excessive CPU usage

[ Edited ]

Do you know your CPU's model? I'd say that's probably important information in solving the problem.

EmilioR
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 11 (1,484 Views)

It's an older PC - a Dell 9100 with a P4 3.4GHz dual-core CPU.
BrianSteele
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (1,480 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you don't have a ton of conversations running at once, you're above 1GHZ in clock speed, you've got more than 256 MB of RAM, and you're on XP I guess that the only other system requirement is that you've got a more up-to-date version of DirectX 9.0 or greater.  I'll let the more experienced guys help you out, but your CPU may just be getting old. I know my older PC stopped interlacing it's programs well and spent a bit too much power on certain programs before it died after quite a few years of heavy usage.

Another good thing to do would be to visit your Windows Update program and go into the optional updates area to see if you need to update your service pack.

EmilioR
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 11 (1,473 Views)

Definitely more than 1GHz and 256 MB of RAM.  And my copy of XP is fully patched and service-packed :happy:

BrianSteele
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (1,453 Views)

Are you connected to Facebook?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6859
Message 6 of 11 (1,447 Views)

try this.

Disconnect Facebook

In Skype,  Click View >> Skype Home >> Click the blue (gear) button on the right

gear.PNG

Switch to the Compact View

In the menubar, Click View >> Compact View

Turn off help and Skype tips and Promotions.

Go to, Tools >> Options... >> Notifications >> Alerts and messages >> Untick "help and Skype tips" and "Promotions".

Unexpected end tag- expected b, actual fontEN.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6195
Message 7 of 11 (1,444 Views)

Thanks Tamim.  Looks like the issue has something to do with my Facebook contacts. Bludy Skype, and my PC, slows to a crawl when the connect to Facebook option is selected.  Things are improved a bit though if I leave it connected, and switch to Compact View.  Skype exe usage stays high for awhile, then settles down to a low rate (between 10~20%).

I also received this error message a few times shortly after startup before switching to Compact View:

Line: 4
   Error: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation

Thanks again.

B.

BrianSteele
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 11 (1,394 Views)

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed?

Please Run the Cleaning Manager Utility

Press WinKey + R to open the Run window

WinKey (the button is located between the left Ctrl and Alt with the Windows logo)

winkey1.png

type: cleanmgr tuneup and press Enter

select the following check boxes and click OK, then Click Delete files.

- Temp Setup Files
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temp Internet Files
- Recycle Bin
- Temp Files
- Temp Windows Installation Files

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6195
Message 9 of 11 (1,387 Views)

I'm using MS Security Essentials for A/V duty.

The "storage" issue was caused by the PC running out of memory rather than disk space.  I was observing the memory usage via Task Manager, and the skype exe's memory usage ran up to about 1.7GB(!) before crashing.

BrianSteele
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (1,382 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling