I hit the Skype update button to upgrade from v5.8 to v5.9 and Skype has not worked ever since.
Here's what I have.
1. OS=MSFT Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (2002)
2. Dell Dimension DM051 Petium® 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99GHz, 2.99GB of RAM
1. Uninstalled and reinstalled Skype 5.9
2. Scanned for virus using Norton Security Suite 220.127.116.11
3. Turn off Firewall
4. Open Windows Task Manager, Checked no Skype 5.9 running in either process or application tabs.
5. Opened Event Viewer
Faulting application skype.exe, version 18.104.22.168, faulting module skype.exe, version 22.214.171.124, fault address 0x001b4f60.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
(see attached for error messages)