Skype 5.5 starts with "Disk IO Error" message and ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype 5.5 starts with "Disk IO Error" message and proceeds to loose my password

Skype 5.5 auto-installed onto my computer about an hour ago.  I have restarted it twice and each time it starts with a message saying "Disk IO Error" and asks me to "Quit".  When I restart, I need to re-enter my password and everything works fine - until I Quit out and then start it again.  The "Disk IO Error" message repeats and I need to Quit and restart with reentering my password again.  Diagnostic utilities show nothing is wrong with my disk.  Very annoying.

When sending my support request to Skype, their WEB server "bombed" on me.  I don't feel like re-entering all the data and doc. - so I hope they read this forum.

I reverted to Skype 5.3.x.y and life is good again.

AMP
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 7 (1,390 Views)

Re: Skype 5.5 starts with "Disk IO Error" message and proceeds to loose my password

I have the same problem. Skype starts normal. When logging in the error shows after a few seconds. I have removed sype and reinstalled it without any result.

I have mamnually removed the skype entries in the registry of Windows7. Reinstalled an older version (4.0.0.206 ) without any result.. Skyp seems to run good but is not logging in to the skype server.

From there I updated the skype 4.0.x to 5.0.0.156. In this last version you'll see the Disk I/O error again. I run out of options. Any one ideas?

Cubened
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 7 (1,023 Views)

Re: Skype 5.5 starts with "Disk IO Error" message and proceeds to loose my password

I have had this happened to me too sometimes, and I find that if you end the process in the task manager and then restart skype, it works fine.

tutuomega
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 7 (1,014 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 4 of 7 (1,004 Views)

AMP wrote:

Skype 5.5 auto-installed onto my computer about an hour ago.  I have restarted it twice and each time it starts with a message saying "Disk IO Error" and asks me to "Quit".  When I restart, I need to re-enter my password and everything works fine - until I Quit out and then start it again.  The "Disk IO Error" message repeats and I need to Quit and restart with reentering my password again.  Diagnostic utilities show nothing is wrong with my disk.  Very annoying.

When sending my support request to Skype, their WEB server "bombed" on me.  I don't feel like re-entering all the data and doc. - so I hope they read this forum.

I reverted to Skype 5.3.x.y and life is good again.

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Also Refer:

Why do I get a Disk I/O error when I try to sign in to Skype?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6077
Message 5 of 7 (605 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 6 of 7 (604 Views)

TheUberOverLord wrote:

Please see this first, otherwise you will not be able to view ANY Skype history because of Step #3: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10143/Why-do-I-get-a-Disk-I-O-error-when-I-try-to-sign-in-to-S...

Unfortunately, the instructions provided in the mentioned Skype FAQ are outdated:

“This will delete your chat history. To save your chat history, copy all the .dbb files and the 'chatsync' folder to another location. You will be able to transfer them back (described in step 6, below). Please note that we cannot guarantee your entire chat history will be restored.”

These instructions still refer to the age of Skype 3.8 and earlier versions. In the current versions, the chat data are located in main.db file.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5971
Message 7 of 7 (600 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling