Skype 5.5 not loading toolbars

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Skype 5.5 not loading toolbars

I can only say that this issue has been reported previously and as far as I know (but I may be wrong) no final solution has yet been provided. Here are some selected posts from the old forum and also more recent posts.

forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=813099

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-Client-No-Menu-Bar/td-p/117092

community.skype.com/t5/Welcome/menu-bar-no-options-such-as-Tools/td-p/149242

As you can see, one of the users claimed that the issue was caused by an external Skype recording application and another user maybe has solved the problem by uninstalling/reinstalling webcam and microphone. Hard to believe, but who knows?

The only what I can suggest is to try to reset all settings to default. You can do this by renaming the %appdata%\skype folder. Quit Skype. Go to Windows Search/Run box and type %appdata%, press Enter or the OK button. This will open your Windows Explorer. Locate the Folder with the name Skype. Rename this folder to something different like Skype_old. Restart Skype. A new %appdata%\skype folder will be recreated with all settings reset to default.

The other thing that you can try is to create a so called portable installation. You can follow the procedure provided here but just use your own version of Skype.exe instead of the mentioned version 4.2.

community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/Searching-for-a-person-in-a-specific-country/m-p/178200#M1472

If you have access to any other version of Skype.exe, then you can also check if the problem can be resolved with other version of Skype without running any uninstall/reinstall procedure.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6856
Message 11 of 17 (2,705 Views)

Hi, I + some other friends have same problems- have Welcome commbuddy - and thats it-no Menu bar - cant enter new contacts or to entered ones - cant call etc. Skype chaos!

I have Win.Vista Home Premium. Dont know what Skype ver. installed end 2010 - 5.0?. Have another account which works perfectly. Have tried everything w/ this one incl. tips nothing works.

If only Skpe Help would run Links to their instructions instead of endless advertising for new customers -then they wouldnt have so many questions from existing members.

One would think that Skype could solve this on their own.

At any rate - do you have any additional ideas as how to solve these menu problems?

commbuddy:sad:

commbuddy
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 17 (2,689 Views)

If you have another Skype account working well on the same computer, then your issue is probably different. My guess is that the only what you need in this case is to reset the local settings in the non-working account. Quit Skype. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype, press Enter or OK button. You should see now a Skype folder with all your local settings. Find there a folder with the name of the non-working account. Rename this folder to something different. Restart Skype and login with credentials of this account.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 13 of 17 (2,684 Views)

Turns out that MX Skype Recorder was causing the problem. I uninstalled it, and now all my full menu has returned. Weird, but thank you ruwim for all your assistance! You were very helpful with my problems.

seganerdchris
Casual Adventurer
Message 14 of 17 (2,671 Views)

Thanks for reporting back and telling about the solution. This is very important information for other Skype users with similar problems. It would also be best if MX Skype Recorder posted a message on their website about this problem (skyperec.com/support.html).
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 15 of 17 (2,664 Views)

why is this a big deal . Just need a tool bar . Noway to make a call ?
rtonyhill
Novel Tourist
Message 16 of 17 (2,320 Views)

cant see the contact or toll bar that contain  contact

?

ammuis1
Novel Adventurer
Message 17 of 17 (2,147 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling