Skype 5.5.0.112 is using too much memory

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype 5.5.0.112 is using too much memory

As stated in the topic, new skype is using too much memory. And I have only one chat open. Please don't tell that it's normal.

Can insert pic here, but here's the link:

i51.tinypic. com/s13qcx.jpg

This widget could not be displayed.
RV-
RV-
Routine Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Reinstal fixed the tray issue, .113 fixed the cpu and memory issue. Hurray!

Thanks a lot everyone, you've been very helpful!

View solution in original post
RV-
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 50 (4,665 Views)

Re: Skype 5.5.0.112 is using too much memory

sometimes when I try to open a chat it says "not enough resources" or something along those lines and I have to restart the skype to open the chat window
RV-
Routine Adventurer
Message 2 of 50 (4,437 Views)

Still no reply? Is this "normal" memory usage for this version? I assume not. So maybe you can say ho to fix this issue.

RV-
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 50 (4,408 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ummmm....how much memory is Skype actually using?   You're tinypic.com link doesn't work here so how about just telling us how much is too much memory?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 938
Message 4 of 50 (4,405 Views)

remove the space between dot and com, around 800mb

RV-
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 50 (4,392 Views)

RV- wrote:
sometimes when I try to open a chat it says "not enough resources" or something along those lines and I have to restart the skype to open the chat window

The next time you get the message, tell us what it is exactly.

From the style of your screenshot, can I assume you're on Win7 or at least Vista?  I'm curious how much RAM you have.  Anything unusual about the system? I'm guessing that something's very badly interacting with Skype to create this, since I don't recall reports like this before. I've certainly never seen Skype exceed 125MB or so. Is this something you never saw in v5.3 and earlier?  Do you have any 3rd-party Skype add-ins?

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 101
Message 6 of 50 (4,384 Views)

Yes, Vista. 4gb of ram. Nothing unusual that I can think of. I'm not sure which version of skype was before this one, but I've never seen such abnormal memory and cpu usage. No 3rd party plugins, matter of fact no plugins at all.

RV-
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 50 (4,374 Views)

800 MB is definitely not normal for Skype.  I was going to guess you were running Vista.  There were numerous posts on the old forum complaining about RAM use creep and if memory serves me, the users were all running Vista. Unfortunately, I can't find any of those threads now.  The search engine on the old forum was pretty useless.

What anti-virus / firewall are you running?  I seem to remember that some unusually high RAM use was related to one or two specific a/v programs.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 938
Message 8 of 50 (4,359 Views)

Yes, I'd suspect AV too, though that would be pretty unlucky. Also, is Vista at least at the SP2 level (or better yet, fully updated)?

This Google search of the old forum should turn up some further ideas.

bit.ly/q1bGGC

One would be: do you happen to be running Skype in a compatibility mode, such as XP? You can tell by looking at the properties of the Skype shortcut and possibly even skype.exe.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 101
Message 9 of 50 (4,345 Views)

I'm using norton, but it's out of date. Vista is fully updated (auto update is on, sp2). No, not running compatibiily mode.

RV-
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 50 (4,331 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling