Re: Skype 5.5.0.110: Home screen displaying on eve...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype 5.5.0.110: Home screen displaying on every startup

I'm still looking for an official answer to the problem. This issue was solved in the 5.0 era, and I haven't seen it through 5.3. However, now with 5.5, the compact view window starts open, which never used to happen before (it was closed to the tray), but also the Home window opens alongside it. Is this a bug or by design? Win7.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 120
Message 1 of 40 (2,895 Views)

Re: Skype 5.5.0.110: Home screen displaying on every startup

What you call the "home screen" are alternating Skype ads for Skype's Online Number, Skype Out, Skype In, and other paid services. These ads cannot be turned off. Skype has obviously decided to make us pay for its software by imposing its ads on us. Now that Skype has been acquired by Microsoft for $8.5 billion, Microsoft obviously wants to make its investment pay. Needless to say, these ads are most annoying, and will make many of us leave Skype and Microsoft for their ad-free competitors.

grandsioux
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 2 of 40 (2,870 Views)

Unfortunately, the new behaviour in 5.5.0.110 seems to be ”by-design” and has nothing to do with the annoying ads. The ads can be disabled by changing the user interface language to a non English language (I’m using Danish). 5.5.0.110 starts always with the Home window opened, while 5.3.0.120 doesn’t. I have both versions installed on the same computer, so this issue is entirely related to Skype version only.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6368
Message 3 of 40 (2,867 Views)

Right, and I haven't even seen the ads yet in 5.5. Also, what accounts for the contacts window (if you're running Compact mode) also being opened? They couldn't put an ad there if they tried. That's the part of it that makes me think that this isn't by design--at least that window.
rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Message 4 of 40 (2,860 Views)

[ Edited ]

Besides unchecking any checkboxes and clicking the save button from the main Skype window here:

Tools -> Options -> Notifications and Messages

Some find it better to use Compact View vs. the Default View to minimize these ads, which can be done by using the main Skype Window:

View -> Compact View

To revert back to the Default View at any time, simply do:

View -> Default View

NOTE: Using a Hack to modify the language file could be asking for trouble in the future. This is because nobody knows what future versions of the Skype client might do when/if they encounter an invalid value, that is not expected to be found during a Skype client installation. So, I can only say as a Skype developer I am very aware of "What works today using a Hack, may not work tomorrow" and I truly hope that people that suggest these methods are around to help people resolve any issues caused by this, in the future.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 5 of 40 (2,856 Views)

Changing language of the UI is not a hack but a totally legal procedure. This option is provided by Skype and any one may use it. However, as it follows from the above posts, the actual issue discussed in this thread has nothing to do with this “hack” or not “hack”.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6368
Message 6 of 40 (2,848 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please have anyone who is "Skype Staff" post here that this "Solution" is acceptable and approved by Skype as a solution to advertising issues with Skype clients.

Thanks.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 40 (2,842 Views)

Huh? You're posting in the wrong thread. As ruwim has said, that's not the issue, so you posted a solution for another problem. You might as well have posted a solution to climate change.

BTW, your other two posts in Garage really don't belong there, since Garage is about beta versions. General usage tips should be put in Getting Started, Windows, or somewhere else.
rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Message 8 of 40 (2,832 Views)

[ Edited ]

this is just an "opinion", if changing or editing ("for whatever purpose") the language settings/file is a hack, and would or might bring unwanted effects in the future, then Skype should not include such option in Skype client.  The process does not involve directly modifying any folders or files, but the changes are done using the Skype client itself.

Edit: and just to compy with the flow of the topic, changing the language settings, and editing the language file name indeed still works if the purpose is to remove the start-up ads in the Skype Home window.  But I'm also interested to know if this process is accepted or allowed by Skype.  I also would like to know if the current pattern of both Skype Main window and the Skype window (separated) opening at the same time (even at compact view) is a design incorporated in 5.5, or just a bug.

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1645
Message 9 of 40 (2,830 Views)

[ Edited ]

Resiler, Please see this message in this thread: community.skype.com/t5/Garage/Skype-5-5-0-110-Home-screen-displaying-on-every-startup/m-p/3976#M3

As far as what should be located where, if a moderator wishes to move this or that I am sure they will, and when and if that happens, I will post similar subjects, were told to.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 40 (2,827 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling