Skype 5.10 crashes on Windows 7

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype 5.10 crashes on Windows 7

Dear,

I am a long time user of your software but I recently I literally cannot run it anymore.

After having automatically updated Skype to 5.10, the application always crashes, most commonly at start-up, i.e. immediately after login. Windows takes over and says that Skype has stopped working, so it will be closed and I will be notified when a solution is found. (Yeah, right.)

Sometimes I can use Skype (chat) a couple of minutes before the same story repeats itself.

I did try what you posted here

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-Problems-Troubleshooting/td-p/52260

including the complete uninstall step but with no success.

So I wanted to install an earlier version but the links I find here

http://community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-to-Download-an-Earlier-Version-of-Skype/td-p/61...

seems to be broken (SkypeSetup pages not found).

So as of now I have no Skype installed anymore. Would you please recommend any viable options or point me to a downloadable earlier version of Skype? [Unfortunately since Skype never gave me any major problem to date, I did not track which working version I was used to run]

Regs

ML66
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 32 (3,957 Views)

Re: Skype 5.10 crashes on Windows 7

[ Edited ]

*lights cigarette*

Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.10.0.116 version. See if it helps.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

If not resolve this issue, then

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Note: You will need your password to re-log on, and re-set any options from default

Check if the issue persists.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6477
Message 2 of 32 (3,947 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I experience the same old problem as above.

Tamim wrote:

*lights cigarette*

Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.10.0.116 version. See if it helps.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

If not resolve this issue, then

Please do a Skype reset:

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Note: You will need your password to re-log on, and re-set any options from default

ML66
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 32 (3,938 Views)

Open Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for any recent error messages with timestamp corresponding to Skype crash. You may copy and paste here the text from the General tab.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6975
Message 4 of 32 (3,936 Views)

However, I did find Skype 5.8 and it seems to work perfectly fine.

ML66
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 32 (3,928 Views)

*lights cigarette*

Thanks for your feedback and just hope that the next Skype updates would fix the issues you are currently experiencing.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 32 (3,911 Views)

I have exactly the same problem running Skype V. 5.10.0.116. After 1 or 2 minutes of working normally Skype crashes and my computer freezes completly and needs a hard reboot.

Compatibility mode is off and "debug" in Boot advanced options is not checked. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Igor_S
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 32 (3,904 Views)

Igor_S wrote:

I have exactly the same problem running Skype V. 5.10.0.116. After 1 or 2 minutes of working normally Skype crashes and my computer freezes completly and needs a hard reboot.

Compatibility mode is off and "debug" in Boot advanced options is not checked. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

*lights cigarette*

Please do a Skype reset:

4. Re-run Skype

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 32 (3,902 Views)

I have exactly the same issue, my skype crashes after talking on it for maybe 3 or 4 minutes. There is no regularity to it, it would sometimes crashes continuously when I try to restart at startup screen, sometimes let me in for some time. If I don't talk to anyone on skype, seems to not crash. 

This needs to be fixed!

Will post my error messege below.

SbR7yNj
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 32 (3,465 Views)

I am also having issues with skype similar to what the first user of this subject explained. I did a complete uninstall as per another post on this site and reinstalled the new version only to have it crash again. On another note I have also had problems with Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Word crashing simultaneously with skype. I run windows 7 on a 64-bit system with Kaspersky as my internet security. 

ravinecat7
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 32 (3,459 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling