Skype 5.10.0.114 volume window won't go away and m...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype 5.10.0.114 volume window won't go away and messes with system volume control

This upgrade must have come in the last week or so. It includes a horizontal window labeled Volume that sits on top in the lower right corner of my display regardless of which app I am using. Right now I type this in Google Chrome but Skype's new floating Volume window sits in front of it. There is no way to control it or remove it.

Additionally, when I attempt to listen to Media Player with my Logitech USB headset or simply make a call without a headset using my Skype premium account, the software that appears to control that pointless and useless window automatically lowers the volume to zero so that I cannot hear anything at all. If I manually raise the volume with my mouse, it simply drops it back to zero like air leaking out of a tire.

I can listen to Media Player on my Toshiba Satellite's tinny speakers. But that's it. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium--Service Pack 1; all the software and drivers are up to date and up until about a week ago I had been a happy Skype Premium user for over 3 years. Now it's worthless and a waste of money.

When I first encountered this issue early last week, I was able to resolve it for an evening by unclicking the automatic recording and volume settings in Skype-Tools-Options. That no longer works.

Earlier tonight in a laborious 70-80 minute chat session with Support, I removed all permissions for apps to take exclusive control of all my audio devices. That was supposed to resolve the issue: it did not. Yes, the laptop's built-in speakers now function, but the headset does not, nor does Skype with either headset or speakers.

So what now???? Support was clearly not full of ideas [I am girding my loins before attempting another marathon with them]. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Why have a floating Volume window anyway? It makes no sense what so ever.

This widget could not be displayed.
Neil
Super Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

I am virtually positive that this volume control widget did not come with Skype

maybe a screenshot would help identify what it is

what else did you install about a week ago?

View solution in original post
CGBehemoth
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (1,626 Views)

Re: Skype 5.10.0.114 volume window won't go away and messes with system volume control

[ Edited ]

I am virtually positive that this volume control widget did not come with Skype

maybe a screenshot would help identify what it is

what else did you install about a week ago?

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 312
Message 2 of 6 (1,608 Views)

Re: Skype 5.10.0.114 volume window won't go away and messes with system volume control

Thanks for replying!

I installed nothing else. It appeared after the latest automatic update from Skype. 

I'm booting Skype now and will check the Task Manager to see if I find the widget there.

Cheers--

CGBehemoth
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (1,597 Views)

please post a screenshot

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 312
Message 4 of 6 (1,586 Views)

Apologies for the delay in replying---illness and family surprises intervened. And apologies for wasting yours and anyone else's time.

I've since spent a lot of time with Toshiba's support after getting some suggestions from Logitech. Toshiba eliminated Skype's or any other software as the root cause. It appears to be the failure of a component in the headset's volume control. The initial constellation made it look like a Skype issue and Skype's own support person I first dealt with was none the wiser.

Cheers---

CGBehemoth
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (1,544 Views)

NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1486
Message 6 of 6 (1,093 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling