Skyp start up unbelieveable slow on Win 7 64bit

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skyp start up unbelieveable slow on Win 7 64bit

I have been a skype user for many years first using it on a laptop running Win 95 where too my amazement it worked fine even over my slow internet connection. Over the years they have been a lot of changes but just recently they have become very obtrusive and the start time for Skype 5.5.0.113 on my Win7 64bit computer is very long, several minutes at which time it hogs resources so much that browsers and email clients cannot start until Skype loads. I thought that the problem could be due to loading Skype before the internet connection was available but it is just as slow if started after the computer has booted completely, I am very disappointed with this performance and hope that somebody is addressing the issue.

I would also like to say that I hate the Skype home window, if we have to have it, could we please have an option in Skype not to open this window on start up?

One of the best things about the original Skype was the dedication to be unobtrusive, no pop-ups, no uncessessary clutter an approach that is slowly being eroded it seems.

jecook
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 31 (14,014 Views)

Re: Skyp start up unbelieveable slow on Win 7 64bit

You may wish to install the latest version of Skype

blogs.skype.com/garage/windows/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5779
Message 2 of 31 (13,819 Views)

I agree. Recent versions of Skype on Win7 64 bit totally suck. I have given up using it on this platform and am now only able to log in and use it under Ubuntu.

The main problem I see under Windows is incredibly slow startup times, inability to even enter your password at the sign-on screen(!!!) and weird flickering of the 'Close Window' button if you try to close the program.

What a piece of junk a once-good program has become.
summit-wulf
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 31 (13,758 Views)

I have the same problem.  It takes approximately 10 minutes to start Skype.  When I double clicks on the Skype again, after 10 minutes it started multiple Skype instances instead of using the same one.

donnywi
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 31 (13,626 Views)

Yes, the same is here. 10min.+ to open Skype 5.5. Win7-64, 8Gb of RAM.

Uninstall/Install does not help. Install of 5.7 (beta) does not help.

Developers, please help.

leonyeruk
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 31 (13,559 Views)

[ Edited ]

January 8th 2012  just loaded Skype 5.5.59.124 into Windows 7 64bit...fast internet connection.

Startup and shutdown speeds are ridiculously slow and completly lock Windows up for a number of minutes. 

Even photoshop closing and saving massive multilayer artwork runs rings around Skype for speed.

The computers only 3 months old and came with Skype preloaded which was great untill a mid November update which completed killed the performance. At this point I removed Skype from the computer.

Thinking (stupidly) that a reinstall would sort this problem i loaded the latest version only to find the software even more intrusive.

WHAT WENT WRONG SKYPE.....yep pay peanuts (or nothing), get monkeys ( or a pain in the rear)

Destroying your service and reputation successfully Skype, well done!!

SOLUTION BELOW READERS >>>>many thanks Tamim ( give him Kudos )

Ben10000000000
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 31 (13,448 Views)

[ Edited ]

Any other helpful suggestions Ruwim?

Ben10000000000
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 31 (13,425 Views)

Ben10000000000 wrote:

January 8th 2012  just loaded Skype 5.5.59.124 into Windows 7 64bit...fast internet connection.

Startup and shutdown speeds are ridiculously slow and completly lock Windows up for a number of minutes. 

Even photoshop closing and saving massive multilayer artwork runs rings around Skype for speed.

The computers only 3 months old and came with Skype preloaded which was great untill a mid November update which completed killed the performance. At this point I removed Skype from the computer.

Thinking (stupidly) that a reinstall would sort this problem i loaded the latest version only to find the software even more intrusive.

WHAT WENT WRONG SKYPE.....yep pay peanuts (or nothing), get monkeys ( or a pain in the rear)

Destroying your service and reputation successfully Skype, well done!!

You may Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta-full/

If not resolve this issue, then

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Check if the issue persists

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 5992
Message 8 of 31 (13,405 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Tamim, thanks for the fast response I'll try your suggestion and let you know.

It worked, fantastic, thanks.

Ben

Ben10000000000
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 31 (13,404 Views)

Thanks Tamim, this procedure worked for me too!

Clearly, Skype needs to have a feature where it can auto-delete the existing Skype profile, and start one from scratch to resolve rare problems like these. Even if it had this option during Skype uninstall, that would have resolved the problem too.

I'm using skype 5.8.59.158 with windows 7 pro.
shak
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 31 (12,982 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling