Skpe not connecting windows xp home 32 bit mozilla...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skpe not connecting windows xp home 32 bit mozilla firefox

Hi, pleae can anyone help.  I have been using skype on my andriod phone but decided to start using it on my Windows XP home edition laptop 32bit edition.  I have a mobile broadband internet connection.

I downloaded the latest version of skype yesterday and logged in updated my profile and was happily chatting to friends.  I powered down my laptop and later tried to log back in to skype and was met with 'skype cannot connect'.  I turned off the leptop and went to bed  This morning I have tried again and get the same message. 

I have uninstalled skype and downloaded again and reinstalled...same problem. 

I have looked on the FAQ's and checked firewall settings....same problem

I have followed some steps to reconfigure connection settings from another thread....same problem.

Nothing has changed on the laptop since beinag able to succesfully log in yesterday and I can still log in on my andriod phone.  I am using mozzilla firefox browser.

Any ideas will be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

felipe8383
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 22 (633 Views)

Re: Skpe not connecting windows xp home 32 bit mozilla firefox

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions in your very next reply:

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed?
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

try to open the page with IE-32bit and post the result
https://apps.skype.com/friendfinder/

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6485
Message 2 of 22 (628 Views)

to expand....the steps I followed to reconfigure the connection were from the 'Skype can't connect!' post from yesterday.
felipe8383
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 22 (626 Views)

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? none
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? I have something called prevex but this only works in IE and the settings have not been altered since successfully loggin on yesterday
What third-party firewall (if any)?None
felipe8383
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 22 (624 Views)

The friend finder opens up fine

Regards

Felipe
felipe8383
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 22 (621 Views)

Check connection settings

In Internet Explorer, Go to, Tools >> Internet Options... >> Connections>> Lan settings , Use a proxy server... if it had been ticked, then... Remove that check. Make sure automatically detect settings is enabled. (Marked)

ieoption.PNG

In Skype Click Tools >> Click Connection options...

type any port between 1024 and 65535

check this settings "use port 80 and 443.....incoming connections"

... if it had been ticked, then... Remove that check and try then.

proxy.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 22 (620 Views)

Hi did try that earlier but have tried again ensuring auto detect LAN settings is checked and typed excactly what was in the screen shot of the skype settings but it still gives the same issue.

I can't figure out why it would connect yesterday and not now all that has happened is the laptop has ben turned off.

Regards Felipe
felipe8383
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 22 (613 Views)

Have you tried to reset all Skype settings?

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6989
Message 8 of 22 (607 Views)

try removing Prevx with this utility

http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=csiuninstalltool

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 22 (599 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried it but still the same issue.

I'm gutted
felipe8383
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 22 (596 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling