Skpe Will Not Connect After 5.5 Update

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skpe Will Not Connect After 5.5 Update

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone, so today I decided to update my skype from 5.3, and after updating it it will not work. Sometimes I put my info and there's just a blue circle rotating and nothing happens.

I've tried with 2 different accounts.

SOMETIMES It'll connect, and when it does it says Skype Home isn't available, basically saying it can't connect to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

edit : By the way, I tried :

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the regular release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

My computer is custom built, running an asus motherboard, windows 7 64 bit.

Iceycold
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (2,406 Views)

Re: Skpe Will Not Connect After 5.5 Update

i just upgraded from 5.3 to 5.5 and can't sign in either. I just says "Skype cannot connect"... I've reinstalled 3 times and restarted my computer. Not sure how to get back online.

jasonh42000
Casual Tourist
Message 2 of 10 (2,154 Views)

Iceycold wrote:

SOMETIMES It'll connect, and when it does it says Skype Home isn't available, basically saying it can't connect to the internet.

My computer is custom built, running an asus motherboard, windows 7 64 bit.

What happens when you start your Internet Explorer and try to open?

apps.skype.com/home/     (please add https:// in front of the link)

Make sure that you are using the 32 bit version of IE and not the 64 bit version.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5901
Message 3 of 10 (2,129 Views)

[ Edited ]

After updating to the latest 5.5 version of Skype. I cant even connect to FB (using Skype). It goes round in circles. It goes back to the link to FB window. It does the same thing if I go to apps.skype.com/home/ (and put https in front of this). So, neither way works (whether I use Skype or IE 32 bit). 5.5.0.114 was fine. 115 doesnt work (with FB)

PaulAuckNZ
Routine Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (2,026 Views)

PaulAuckNZ wrote:

After updating to the latest 5.5 version of Skype. I cant even connect to FB (using Skype). It goes round in circles. It goes back to the link to FB window. It does the same thing if I go to apps.skype.com/home/ (and put https in front of this). So, neither way works (whether I use Skype or IE 32 bit). 5.5.0.114 was fine. 115 doesnt work (with FB)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%..., what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please re-install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the regular release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 685
Message 5 of 10 (2,019 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can log into  the link you posted

And I can log into Skype. Thats not the prob. Connect to facebook in Skype 5.5.0.115 doesnt work. I can type my FB username and password in (which I know is right), but Skype goes round in circles. It goes back to link to facebook. And IE isnt my default browser, firefox is.

I built this system. Its an ASUS system with 8 GB ram. And the prob isnt me. Its the latest version of Skype (connecting to facebook in it doesnt work). Everything works and everything is up to date. I'm using Win7 x64. Installing over Skype doesnt work either

PaulAuckNZ
Routine Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (2,016 Views)

[ Edited ]

PaulAuckNZ wrote:

I can log into  the link you posted

And I can log into Skype. Thats not the prob. Connect to facebook in Skype 5.5.0.115 doesnt work. I can type my FB username and password in (which I know is right), but Skype goes round in circles. It goes back to link to facebook. And IE isnt my default browser, firefox is.

I built this system. Its an ASUS system with 8 GB ram. And the prob isnt me. Its the latest version of Skype (connecting to facebook in it doesnt work). Everything works and everything is up to date. I'm using Win7 x64. Installing over Skype doesnt work either

The newer Skype clients use IE programmatically, and if IE is screwed up it can cause issues, did you try Step 2? If so what happened?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 685
Message 7 of 10 (2,006 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nup. Ive reset everything in IE. That site you posted (like I said works). I can log into that no probs. But the link to FB option in Skype Home doesnt work. All it does is go round in circles (goes back to link to FB). And you have to keep typing in your username / password

I'll go back to 4.2. Till 5.5 is fixed (its obviously screwed / borked somewhere)

I've uninstalled 5.5 deleted its folders, I've even deleted its registry entries like 5 times. Still cant log into FB from it

PaulAuckNZ
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (1,985 Views)

google "old version skype" and download and install a previous version of skype that does work.

jojorada
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (1,975 Views)

Could but that wont fix the prob, if I want to install the latest version will it

PaulAuckNZ
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (1,970 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling