Skipe typing cat

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skipe typing cat

Hi everyone, every time I write, instead of the pencil, I have a cat moving his paws. Some friends of mine have asked me how I changed it, but I have no idea. So, how can I change it back to the pencil/chance it back again to the cat?
Please use plain text.
rory2kNZ
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (83,166 Views)

Re: Skipe typing cat

Moved to "Windows".

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN [UTC MINUS 5 HOURS]. LOCATION - PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, USA.

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1529
Message 2 of 9 (83,015 Views)

what you have discovered is a Skype 'Easter Egg' that occurs when you type quickly, and neighboring keys are being depressed after one another (like a cat would do as hey walked across your keyboard)

if you slow down your typing a bit, and press keys more deliberately, I think you will NOT see the cat

there are no user controls for this 'feature'
Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 273
Message 3 of 9 (82,975 Views)

I've read about that. But it appears everytime, no matter the speed I type.

Please use plain text.
rory2kNZ
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (82,960 Views)

in your case then, it may be some kind of corruption in your config.xml file

you might try quitting Skype, renaming your existing config.xml, and then letting Skype create a fresh one for you the next time you sign in

if this doesn't resolve the cat issue for you, you should be able to quit Skype again and re-enable the old .xml file
Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (82,952 Views)

I got the typing kitty just now, and it went away for some random reason. I was still typing fast and sorta sloppy but she went away. Anyone know how to get her back? I tried renaming the XML file but that doesn't seem to have worked. It's also not obvious where the entry lives in the XML file.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
pixelmeow
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (82,748 Views)

This page helped line it up for me.  I think it works for all the newest versions, too:

http://bluescreensolutions.blogspot.com/2011/02/skypes-disappearing-cat-and-other.html

Please use plain text.
kodyleonard
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (82,113 Views)

actually that blog incorrectly calls them hidden emoticons -- they are actually known as Easter Eggs, and they are JUST FOR FUN (i.e. created by programmers that have too much time on their hands)

there are no .XML entries for either Easter Egg -- the code is embedded in the Skype.exe program

the feline one is as described in the blog, namely a cat walking across your keyboard

but the other one is actually two hands breaking a pencil
Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (82,108 Views)

kodyleonard wrote: This page helped line it up for me.  I think it works for all the newest versions, too:

http://bluescreensolutions.blogspot.com/2011/02/skypes-disappearing-cat-and-other.html

The full story is that the Skype cat was invented as a counterpart to the beloved doggie Rover of Melinda Gates. For a long time it was not recognized that this signalized the upcoming takeover of Skype by Microsoft. It also gave rise to a very popular song of Skyprosoft https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyprosoft :

"Cat and Dog Live Together In Perfect Harmony"
(with the melody of Paul McCartney's EEEbony")

skyprosoft-cat+dog.jpg

Believe it?  :wink:

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
Please use plain text.
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 634
Message 9 of 9 (82,101 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling