Screen sharing says I need Premium

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Screen sharing says I need Premium

So I every time I try to share screens with ONE person, it tells me that I must have skype premium. The box that pops up use to have a little button that said 'continue' or something like that, but now it is gone and says I have to either start the trial or get premium. Thoughts? I first thought it was because I have dual monitors, but it never did that before. I am getting sick of the group calling thing poping up and causing insues every time I click on something. For the record, I have never tried to do group calling and have no need for it (at this time).

Please help.

It appears that a lot of things have gone south with the last update.

korbinshoemake
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (23,725 Views)

Re: Screen sharing says I need Premium

Just switch your video off before starting screen sharing. With the latest Skype version it’s now possible to share screen and send video at the same time, but this requires Premium subscription. Without premium, the video must be turned off.

Beside this, there is still an option on the message window to continue screen sharing with free account without video. Press the button “Continue with a free call”

ScreenShareWithVideo.jpg

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6988
Message 2 of 6 (23,715 Views)

This is really a terrible experience for customers.

The popup title says "You need Skype Premium to share screens". Wouldn't you agree this is an incorrect statement? I don't need skype premium, I just need to stop sharing my video and start sharing my screen.

Please fix this.

I would like the message to be more helpful. Tell me "Just switch your video off before starting screen sharing or you can share both with Skype premium."

As it stands, I feel like skype is trying to trick me into an upgrade that I don't need.

ewalk
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (19,953 Views)

This issue has several times been reported to Skype, but apparently it’s not important for Skype to change this misleading message.:mad::(n):

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6988
Message 4 of 6 (19,948 Views)

I really appreciate you comment explaining how to work around their terrible UX.

ewalk
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (19,943 Views)

Unfortunately hitting "continue with free call" does not solve the problem of sharing the screen, yet it was the wanting to share the screen that presented the options of getting Skype premium or continuing with a free call.  Hence the solution presented does not solve anything.  

Thanks for the work around of switching the video off. 

rupert_connelly
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (16,962 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling