Says contact is offline when they are not

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Says contact is offline when they are not

Skype shows my contact as offline to me, and me as offline to them when in actuality we are both online, which we verified through email. Because if shows us offline, we are not able to video call.

meghinrichsen
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (4,319 Views)

Re: Says contact is offline when they are not

In the situation you describe there are a few things you can try.

First, make sure each of your own status is online.

Then, toggle your status offline for 5 or 10 seconds, and then back online.

Or signout from Skype, and sign back in.

Try sending a short IM to the contact.  Sometimes that will kick online status to its' correct state.

Or, if you're sure the contact is online, right click on the name on your Contacts list and on the menu that comes up, click Call or Video call.   Sometimes that too will kick start Online status.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 918
Message 2 of 4 (4,317 Views)

I have the opposite problem.  Skype says contacts ARE ONLINE when they are not.

This seems to be a major bug with Skype - I've noticed this issue for several months now.  Yes, I'm running the latest version.

platypus357
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 4 (2,544 Views)

I read on a forum last night that it is a problem with Skype servers not synching correctly.

I tried it last week with my partner at home, we could both see eachother as available or available so it worked fine.

Now he's in a different country and we have the problem again, we both show as offline to eachother when we are without a doubt on-line.

So I guess when we tested it at home we were on the same Skype server.

And now we are on different servers and they do not sync properly

I hope this is fixed soon, I am checking out alternative video call apps!

NDumont
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 4 (2,373 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling