[SOLVED} Webcam does not load, what have I missed?...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

[SOLVED} Webcam does not load, what have I missed? (dell-skype problem)

[ Edited ]

SOLUTION: The problem is Dell-Skype compatability, so I had to install older copy of Skype (older version) and uncheck automatic updates... Is there a way for me to know when it would be safe to have the normal program behavior?

I do not remember exactly when the camera stopped working, because sometimes I used skype without it. 

If I try to change profile picture or do a video call the camera (integrated) seems to be loading, but never does. Image does not appear to who ever I am talking to. 

On Tools->Options->Video Settings->

- Integrated Webcam appears in the drop down menu

- Image does not load (revolving circles shows)
          - People in my contact list only (checked)
          - Webcam settings seem to be in order (did not change it myself)

I do not have "Sign me in when skype starts, or lauch skype at startup. 

So far I have tried this:
1) Check using other programs if webcam is working. (facebook)

- Then I quit facebook, check skype still doesn't work.
2) Updated Skype
3) Uninstall Skype and reinstalled it
4) Updated my webcam drivers (were up to date)
5) Updated DirectX
6) Updated Adobe flash and Oracle java.

Again I did not change any settings or did anything manually to my computer, but I know updates are probably guilty of this problem. Win7, Dell XPS15, integrated camera, and it worked for almost 2 years. 

Edit: 
Trying a few solutions in the related questions found here, but not on google (which seems to give answers/problems from 2008-2010).  

Realjuan
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (11,680 Views)

Re: Webcam does not load, what have I missed?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6828
Message 2 of 5 (11,647 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you, i was editing while you were writing. I suppose I trusted googles search algorithm more than your related questions.  

But if you could answer the edited question, how/when will I know that is safe to trust updates again? (I suppose this is a general problem with software). I know understand why people say, only update if it does not work, while most companies say please always keep latest version.

Realjuan
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 5 (11,641 Views)

At the very least you can add a thread to the skype garage blog, that we can follow to learn when the problem will be fixed.

harryimage
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 4 of 5 (11,256 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6828
Message 5 of 5 (11,253 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling