SOLUTION to Stop Skype Intermittent Pop Up Windows

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

SOLUTION to Stop Skype Intermittent Pop Up Windows

[ Edited ]

Skype (Windows) versions 5.3x and later causes excess windows to pop up intermittently. The invasive action on the part of Skype programmers has caused a bunch of messages and complaints.

You can stop the windows from popping up with a simple modification to two files and it only takes a couple minutes.

1. Close Skype
2. Go to c:\users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\roaming\skype\shared_dynco
3. Open file dc.db in notepad,delete its content, save and close
4. In dc.db file properties set it up to read-only and confirm
5. Return a folder back and go to shared_httpfe
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 in file queue.db

Works like a charm!

Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 42 (10,734 Views)

Re: SOLUTION to Stop Skype Pop Up Windows at Sign-in and Intermittently

[ Edited ]

cyberbiker wrote:

Skype (Windows) versions 5.3x and later causes excess windows to pop up on sign in and intermittently afterward. The invasive action on the part of Skype programmers has caused a bunch of messages and complaints.

You can stop the windows from popping up with a simple modification to two files and it only takes a couple minutes.

1. Close Skype
2. Go to c:\users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\roaming\skype\shared_dynco
3. Open file dc.db in notepad,delete its content, save and close
4. In dc.db file properties set it up to read-only and confirm
5. Return a folder back and go to shared_httpfe
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 in file queue.db

Works like a charm!

While I do understand the dislike and frustration of what is currently going on, it's important to note that nobody knows what the future is and that by doing this, could/can cause a loss of Skype services in the near future.

It's important for those who plan to use this method to know that risk.

Since most likely, you won't take the time, if/when that happens, to help anyone/everyone using these methods to recover 24/7/365 if/when they have issues caused by this.

IMHO, I would NOT do this, unless you accept the possibility that these methods can/could cause you issues in the future with using Skype services.

At the very least, I would copy/backup any file changed and save it so that a total re-install of the Skype client might not be required.

Sadly, I am always amazed, that when these suggestions are created, that there never is any statements like:

"I have no idea what these files are also used with/by the Skype program and no idea of what possible future impact doing this may have when using your Skype services".

If somehow, I am wrong, please explain, in detail here please, what/how ALL the files you are suggesting to be modified are currently being used and when and for what by the Skype clients for Windows and what the future plans are for ALL of them?

If you can't do all of the above, then it is safe to respectfully say "You Don't know what you are doing".

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 2 of 42 (10,579 Views)

Adventurous much?

It's Skype, not a nuclear reactor.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 120
Message 3 of 42 (10,560 Views)

[ Edited ]

rseiler wrote:

Adventurous much?

ok, so explain ("All") what the current uses of these simple files are, for/in all cases please.

If you can't explain what these file(s) are used for, and when and in all cases, it's not a good idea to suggest changing:

1. Their Access.

2. Their Contents.

IMHO, just that fact, shows many reasons why others should NOT change these files which are used by the Skype client program unless they wish to risk the possible loss of Skype services now and in the future.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 42 (10,557 Views)

"Try it and see what happens" is all the answer necessary for something so minor as Skype.

It's Skype, not a moonshot.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Message 5 of 42 (10,551 Views)

[ Edited ]

rseiler wrote:

"Try it and see what happens" is all the answer necessary for something so minor as Skype.

It's Skype, not a moonshot.

Since this is all so easy, will wait for you to create your own version of Skype, please don't forget to let us all know when it is done :wink:, for the moment however, I will use what I have.

In any event, IMHO, for any Skype user thinking of using "Solutions" like this, I suggest to think long and hard, when simple questions can't be answered, such as these: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/SOLUTION-to-Stop-Skype-Intermittent-Pop-Up-Windows/m-p/136432#...

I think I hear bells...

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 42 (10,546 Views)

The real answer is for Skype to stop doing silly things like reintroducing popups with 5.5 and then even backporting them to 5.3 (for some people). When they do, the inevitable result is that people will find and use whatever solution works for them, even if a modicum of "risk" is involved. Some of us knew on Day 1 that Home would evolve into a fiasco, and the only surprising thing to me is that it's been five weeks now. I have a feeling it's not going to make it to six.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Message 7 of 42 (10,528 Views)

[ Edited ]

rseiler wrote:

The real answer is for Skype to stop doing silly things like reintroducing popups with 5.5 and then even backporting them to 5.3 (for some people). When they do, the inevitable result is that people will find and use whatever solution works for them, even if a modicum of "risk" is involved. Some of us knew on Day 1 that Home would evolve into a fiasco, and the only surprising thing to me is that it's been five weeks now. I have a feeling it's not going to make it to six.

While I understand your frustation, the issues I have with ("hacks") like these are there is never total honesty about not understanding cause/effect.

If there was and that also included 24/7/365 support by those supplying these ("hacks"), then I think it's great idea.

If a person, can't explain what they are changing is used for, generally, it's not a good idea to let them near whatever it is you think you want/need fixed :wink:

That includes and is not limited to cars, planes and software.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 42 (10,524 Views)

I don't think anyone is saying that Skype is so simple that they could easily rewrite their own version. What they are saying is uninstalling and reinstalling is Skype is so simple that if they completely screw up their version of Skype, it's no big deal to start over from scratch. Also, it's only Skype. It's not like losing all the important data that runs their business. I tried this solution, but it didn't work for me. It was pretty easy to undo. The best solution for me has been to uninstall the current version of Skype and to install version 4.2.0.187. It works great. It reminds me of why I used to like Skype so much. I feel like i upgraded even though I know there are probably security/performance issues that been resolved in later versions. When Skype comes out with a newer and acceptable version, then I'll uninstall 4.2.0.187 and install the new version. It takes less than 5 minutes.

No one is mandating any of these third party solutions. They are just saying what works for them. If someone is uncomfortable with a particular solution they shouldn't try it. If they are comfortable with it they should go for it. If they go for it, it should be obvious that they do so at their own risk. If it causes extra technical support work for Skype, then so be it. Skype brought it on themselves by introducing such a stupid, wacky, outdated, intrusive, annoying, and unnecessary feature in the first place. Skype deserves to pay a little extra when they make boneheaded decisions.

pdwbb
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 42 (10,491 Views)

rseiler wrote:

Adventurous much?

this reply is simply perfect!  :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1645
Message 10 of 42 (10,470 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling