Ring tone volume

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Ring tone volume

Hello,

I have searched the boards for a simple answer to this question, and found no simple answer.

Can I control the Skype ring tone volume separately? It rings at only one volume (VERY LOUD) and if I am doing anything else on the computer I may have to turn up my speakers to hear that. Then, when I receive an incoming call, it BLASTS the apartment and building where I live! Here is what I know how to do:

Skype version 5.3.0 go to tools, options, audio settings. There is a separate volume control for mic and speakers, but not for ringing. When I set the speaker volume it does NOT affect the ringtone. Ringtone is ALWAYS BLASTINGLY LOUD unless I go to windows volume control and turn everything down. As I said, if I do that I can't hear the movie I'm watching, or the music I'm listening to.

Has no one thought of a way to turn down the ring volume ONLY, in Skype?

Thanks.

rdubeau
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (11,005 Views)

Re: Ring tone volume

There is no way to currently control just the volume of sounds, but you can customize them including making them louder/softer by doing so. Please copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA339/How-do-I-customize-Skype-sounds

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 2 of 10 (10,750 Views)

[ Edited ]

rdubeau wrote:

Hello,

I have searched the boards for a simple answer to this question, and found no simple answer.

Can I control the Skype ring tone volume separately? It rings at only one volume (VERY LOUD) and if I am doing anything else on the computer I may have to turn up my speakers to hear that. Then, when I receive an incoming call, it BLASTS the apartment and building where I live! Here is what I know how to do:

Skype version 5.3.0 go to tools, options, audio settings. There is a separate volume control for mic and speakers, but not for ringing. When I set the speaker volume it does NOT affect the ringtone. Ringtone is ALWAYS BLASTINGLY LOUD unless I go to windows volume control and turn everything down. As I said, if I do that I can't hear the movie I'm watching, or the music I'm listening to.

Has no one thought of a way to turn down the ring volume ONLY, in Skype?

Thanks.

Windows 7 - Skype version 5.5.0.112.  There should be an option to adjust the volume of Skype separately via the windows volume mixer function.  The first Skype volume control is for the ringtone and other event tones, and the second one for the call volume.

volume 1.png

NOTE:  these options will only appear when Skype is running. 

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1559
Message 3 of 10 (10,747 Views)

That's a nice screenshot, just above, but unfortunately I don't see the same thing in Volume Mixer.  I only have I use Windows 7 with Skype 5.5.0.114.  I *wish* I had a separate volume control for the ring tone, because for me, it is also blastingly loud. 

Volume Mixer only shows "Device" and "Applications".  How do I get the Skype entries to show up?

It hurts my ears when a Skype call comes in.  And it annoys my co-workers.

The link to the Help topic on "How do I customize Skype sounds" does NOT tell you how to make them louder or softer, in spite of what the commenter in this thread claims. 

Please, Skype, help!

dwalker07
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 10 (10,661 Views)

This is a somewhat peculiar feature of Windows 7 Volume Mixer. It only shows volume for devices which have made some sounds recently. How recently, I don’t know. Perhaps less than 20-30 sec or so. This means that you need to open the Volume Mixer right after Skype has made the right sound and then adjust the volume.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6377
Message 5 of 10 (10,657 Views)

I am using skype on kubuntu (ubuntu+KDE) 11.04  (BTW, thanks for supporting Linux!!!)

I was having problems with my incoming ring and other notifications being to way too quiet.  The solution was adjusting the "Event Sounds" in under the "Playback Streams" tab in the KMix GUI. (I tried to insert a snapshot of the GUI, but I guess I am not allowed.)

After turning this all the way up, the notifications volumes are on par with the rest of the volumes.  I also found that if I started a call (or just tested a call) then the mixer added a skype volume control, which can be used to control the incall volume (and also controls a few of the notification, like outgoing ring). 

With both the event sounds and skype levels set to full, everything works as expected.

drcooljoe
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 10 (10,642 Views)

this is a deal-breaker for me. if i have skype on, and i work late, someone calls and i'm away from my computer, i've woken up my neighbor who lives ACROSS THE HALL. KNowing how this is also a 2-minute script for a programmer aggros me to no end. for some reason Skype intentionally wants you not to be able to adjest ringer volume for whatever reason, but can not fathom why.  secret hate for their own customers?

hooplehead
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (9,688 Views)

This is a big problem!  If you have any kind of sound system connected it is so incredibly loud. everything will be soft but then skype comes on and my neighbors wake up and it almost gives me a heart attack.  I am on a Mac so all of these other bits of advice do no good.  I can't believe that no one working at skype doesn't have this problem.  IT is as if it over rides all existing volume controls.  I have to start turning on skype only during certain safe times. Really inconvenient and ruining my business overseas.

AironG
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 10 (9,211 Views)

hello guys. I also had a very big problem with skype dial ring and call rings. BUT i resolved this issue. you can fix it by following these steps on this website. your welcome and good luck.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5871704_can-mute-ringing-sound-skype_.html

clvnzayne
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (6,746 Views)

hello guys. I also had a very big problem with skype dial ring and call rings. BUT i resolved this issue. you can fix it by following these steps on this website. your welcome and good luck.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5871704_can-mute-ringing-sound-skype_.html

clvnzayne
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (6,745 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling