Restoring conversation from main.db file

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Redownload Skype from a restored computer

What a great tool this is!!! Thanks!!

The way it works appears to be that it finds all files on my harddrive that contains chat history (I certainly did not have to tell the program where to look). This makes me wonder (and to possibly further complicate things): in the Skype installation I operated with two different Skype accounts, which means there are two main.db files. I do not believe I used the first account much, or at all, which would make it easier. But just to be sure, I've wondered whether it would be possible to learn in which of these two files any identified chat calls are located?

And the fact is that the program has found a number of chats, 11 in all, with 6 different persons. So, if these chats were all part of the main.db file that I copied to the new installation on my laptop, how come they do not show up? I have to read the help information, there may be a way to copy or download individual chats - but I am not sure how these chats can show up when I hope Skype?

supras-lars
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 19 (6,211 Views)

PS.
I have now learnt that SkypeLogs finds chat data for the last Skype accounts that was open. In other words, it does not find and mix together chat files from 2 or more accounts.
Also, I found out how to look at the chat data on that older account, and there is nothing there that needs to be saved.
In other words, the situation is simple in that there is only one account to consider.
supras-lars
Routine Adventurer
Message 12 of 19 (6,203 Views)

Yes. SkypeLogView is really an amazing application. The guy, who created it, Nir Sofer, is genius.

Per default, SkypeLogView will connect to main.db in the last active account. However, you can open any main.db file by using File -> Select Logs Folder and find the folder where this main.db (or .dbb) file is located. At the top of the SkypeLogView wind you will always see the path to the location where the chat file is located. If the file is in your standard Skype data folder, then you will see your Skype name in the path.

Now, when you are saying that you have two accounts, then you must be 100% sure that you have copied the right main.db. You cannot copy a main.db file from one account to another account (or, you can, but it will not work).

P.S. I can see that you have already by yourself figured how the things work.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6982
Message 13 of 19 (6,202 Views)

Greetings, and Good Morning,

Yes, I've figured out how to open the main.db file that I am currently working (and to check on other main.db files).

However,

(1) I do not understand why I find chat data in SkypeLogView and not in Skype?

(2) How/whether I can make these data available in Skype?

supras-lars
Routine Adventurer
Message 14 of 19 (6,194 Views)

Are you 100% sure that you have copied the right main.db to the right folder on your PC? Perhaps cleaning your user folders will help.

Make sure that Skype is actually not running on your PC (Quit or kill using Task Manager).

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type %appdata%\skype and press Enter. Go trough the whole Skype User folder (including subfolders) and delete any files starting with “temp-“ or ending with “-journal” or with extension .lock.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 15 of 19 (6,191 Views)

I have deleted all the files you referred to.

I copied what I believe is the correct main.db back to this location:

Desktop > Username > AppData > Roaming > skype > supras-lars (my skype account).

There is also this path:

Desktop > Username > Application Data > Skype

The folder system and files available here appears to be identical with those available under AppData (one diff. is that the folder name "skype" vs. "Skype", but this may be irrelevant). Otherwise I have no idea why skype is available under both AppData and Application Data (and what the difference between those folders are, for that matter). 

I thought that I might earlier have placed main.db under Application Data, but I do not think so. At any rate, this time around I am sure that main.db is located under AppData.

When I open Skype, the same situation as mentioned earlier applies: I see the links to chat history but they contain no data.

When opening SkypeLogView again, I find the same list of chat files. This time around i used the option to save one chat file in .txt (File > Save Selected Items), with this only save headers, and not the actual chat.

At this time I am, frankly speaking, drawn between two opposing feelings: stubborness to try and understand what I'm doing wrong (you seem to imply so, and I am sure you're correct), versus giving up the whole thing as it seems to take an inordinant amount of time, not the least your time ....

supras-lars
Routine Adventurer
Message 16 of 19 (6,184 Views)

Something is very strange with your Skype installation and location of Skype folders. Is your OS really Windows XP? I have never seen a Roaming folder on XP. This folder only exists onVistaor Windows 7. Why are the files located on Desktop? This is definitely not a standard location of Skype files. Have you used a Skype Portable installation? When SkypeLogView opens the chat files from the default location, what do you see at the top of the SkypeLogView window?

The correct location of the Skype user files should be:

On Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\your win user name\Application Data\Skype\your skype name\

On Vista or Windows 7:

C:\Users\your win user name\AppData\Roaming\Skype\your skype name\

The main.db file should be in one of these folders.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 17 of 19 (6,177 Views)

I can explain at least some of your questions:

The original installation of Skype (where I had chats and where they were available) was on my desktop, which has XP installed. The problem that I've involved you in came about because the desktop crashed,

Because of this crash I have tried to get these same chat data appear in my Skype installation on my laptop, which has Vista installed. Thus, when I write about paths it is in reference to my laptop with its Vista installation.

As for the reference to "desktop", the folder "win user name" is located under "desktop". As well, it is located as follows:

C: > Users > win user name > App Data > Roaming > skype > skype account (as you write yourself)

Skype Portalbe installation: not sure what that is. I downloaded it from the skype website.

SkypeLogWiev window: What I see at the top? I gather you mean the path, which is as written above, specifically: C:\Users\lars\AppData\Roaming\Skype\supras-lars. And this is also the place where I copied main.db.

Not sure where this leaves us, in terms of error detection?

supras-lars
Routine Adventurer
Message 18 of 19 (6,173 Views)

OK. Now, at least, I understand what you were doing. Sorry for all my misunderstandings. However, all this does not explain why you can see the chats in SkypeLogView, but not in Skype. The only what I can suggest now is to start from scratch.

Quit Skype. Rename the C:\Users\lars\AppData\Roaming\Skype folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype and login with your user credentials. A new Skype folder will be re-created with all settings reset to default. Quit again Skype and delete the newly created main.db and replace it with the previously saved copy.

If this will not work, then I don’t know what to do. I have used this procedure many times with my own Skype installations and it was always working.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 19 of 19 (6,169 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling