Really REALLLY hate forced update!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Really REALLLY hate forced update!

For some 3 or 4 months I am reinstalling skype every time it is updating itself.. OOMMMGG how I hate that person, who come up with that! Is it so much painful to accept that maybe someone likes the old version better??? I cant resize video popup window, I cant control volume of other users sound when talking.. and it is making the quality of videocall worse.. WHY... I mean WHY!! I should be forced to use the "NEW and BETTER" version?!

I know - I sound cranky, but that update just stepped on my nerves..

mis_laptops
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (669 Views)

Re: Really REALLLY hate forced update!

I agree with you most certainly. Plus these forced updates pop up windows really peave me, I have been trying to add a contact, just about ready to save and the damned update window pops up and I loose all the info....situations like that. Bring back the choice to check Auto Updates or No. Otherwise Skype is a dictator!

shatos
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 5 (467 Views)

Unfortunately, those possible "forced" updates is a part of Skype's terms of use.  Yet, there are some considerable "workarounds" in this forum site.

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 243
Message 3 of 5 (455 Views)

[ Edited ]

From a developer standpoint, it makes sense. If scaling video causes issues with certain video cards, or increases bandwidth, then it may be desirable to just disable that feature to keep the skype experience similar and reliable across the entire user base.
Newer versions don't have to have enhancements, they can remove features that are problematic either on the client or at the server.

I found this thread by searching around as I hate forced updates too...this is really just my 2c.

midgetg0at
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 5 (366 Views)

I just checked the Terms of Use.

The paragraph that talks about updates has the following words:

However, Skype may (a) require you to download and install Updates; or (b) download and install Updates from Skype automatically from time to time unless you have chosen (through your Skype client settings) not to receive automatic Updates.

So if I have chosen not to receive automatic updates I expect not to receive them. I would understand it if I got a message saying that I have to update my Skype version. But I haven't got any message. Skype got updated itself without saying anything.

I'm uninstalling skype from my machine.

unhappy_
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 5 (192 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling