Push to Talk?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Push to Talk?

Hello everyone
Folks, I use Skype for various things, but here at home I have a big problem with the noise, and my friends complain all the time so when I'm in a conference with them ...

I wonder if there is any way to make skype mode Push to Talk, which is my microphone so that only activates when I hold a certain button ...

I await answers.
Thx
 :happy:

This widget could not be displayed.
Neil
Super Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

@Doc72ocker:
it would be wise to ask for clarification before making such rash declarations, because clearly you do not understand the feature fully

read this post again CAREFULLY
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Push-to-Talk/m-p/535095#M45556

here is the detail on how to actually use this feature

1) for this example, I have set Ctrl+T to be be used for PTT -- in other words, for the hotkey sequence labelled 'Toggle mute (Push-to-talk)' -- as you know, many other key combinations are possible

2) start a call and then either manually mute mic using the call control bar, or use the mute mic hotkey sequence that you may have enabled -- in my case that is Ctrl+Space

3) do you agree that the mic is muted at this point?

4) now press Ctrl+T and HOLD BOTH KEYS DOWN -- note that the mic is now NOT muted

5) as soon as you release EITHER key, the mic is muted again

6) press and hold Ctrl+T again and the mic is re-muted until you release either key

7) if you want to operate in push-to-mute mode instead, then unmute the mic manually or re-use the mute mic hotkey sequence and continue at step #4 and you will see that Ctrl+T now operates as Push-to-mute -- I do agree that not many need or want Push-to-mute that does not 'latch' -- but those who do want mute to 'latch' can use the original mute hotkey sequence and mute will toggle as it always has

8 ) imo, you are not likely going to get a single-key PTT feature from Skype -- all Skype global hotkeys involve 2 keys

View solution in original post
phecardozo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 23 (62,584 Views)

Re: Push to Talk?

Currently this is not supported.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 23 (62,440 Views)

Please add me to the user base of people requesting a PTT feature. If there is compensation concerns about a heavier user base of people showing up due to the functionality this would create - make it a paid feature. Charge a monthly fee for the feature, but at least add it in as an option.

baddawgs
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 23 (61,411 Views)

Same here. Add me to that list. I'd love to have PTT. Would cancel out unnecessary noises from the background.

I hate having to mute/unmute all the time. Even I have that macro'ed but PTT would be the WAY to go.
duaneleem
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 23 (60,251 Views)

I had the same problem with Skype so I wrote my own Global Push-To-Talk. The soruce code is available on request (if you know in C# and C/C++) EDIT: I cannot post the link to my site here so mail me at globalpushtotalk@hardingonline.se if you want to check it out.
Harding
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 23 (58,228 Views)

While I appreciate the work at putting in a Push to Talk function, it is backwards. I'm supposed to push the button to be able talk to others on Skype, not push to mute as it is now. I would also like to see removed the requirement for a modifier key (shift, alt, ctrl) for Mute microphone.

jetblast3500
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 23 (48,349 Views)

Push to Talk eventually implemented in the latest version of skype!!!

tigranmj
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 23 (43,287 Views)

There is an option for PTT, but it should be renamed PTM (Push-To-Mute) which is completely usless. 

Tools | Options | Advanced | Hotkeys   and check Toggle mute (Push-to-talk)

Highlight it and press the "Change selected shortcut" button to change the key binding.

I set it to use the CTRL key.  So after setting that option, nothing happes, all can hear me, but when i press CTRL, it mutes.  OMG, you guys at Skype are dumb, going back to using Ventrilo until you fix this.

epichunt
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 23 (39,351 Views)

Heh.  That does seem sort of backwards, doesn't it?

One thing that might work until such time as Skype actually makes push-to-talk push-to-talk, is use the Mute microphone function instead.  I don't usually have need for the feature, but I tried it. 

I selected Mute microphone in settings and select Shift-z and the combo.  Then I could use Shift-z to mute the mic, then toggle it on as long as I wanted to talk, and then toggle it off again.

Not exactly push-to-talk but maybe better than nothing.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 937
Message 9 of 23 (39,338 Views)

I agree push to mute is as useful as putting the enter key on the back of a keyboard. I just registered for skype as my mates use it. Now i know why i have never downloaded till now.
MightyHeraldo
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 23 (39,272 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling