Re: Problems with dual monitors

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Problems with dual monitors

Hi,

I have a dual monitor setup, running on Windows XP with Skype 5.8.

Video calling is causing me issues... As soon as I start one my image is maximised on one of the monitors, and although I can see a small image of the other party I am unable to view any shared screens or anything like that as it appears to disappear behind the massive picture of me!  I can't gain access to the Skype menu or any settings, as these disappear behind the huge picture of me too.  I have tried compact view, no difference.

Can anyone advise?

Gareth

garethgdr
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (1,906 Views)

I think double-clicking on the video image should change the call window from full screen to maximized window mode.

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 226
Message 2 of 3 (1,804 Views)

garethgdr wrote:

Hi,

I have a dual monitor setup, running on Windows XP with Skype 5.8.

Video calling is causing me issues... As soon as I start one my image is maximised on one of the monitors, and although I can see a small image of the other party I am unable to view any shared screens or anything like that as it appears to disappear behind the massive picture of me!  I can't gain access to the Skype menu or any settings, as these disappear behind the huge picture of me too.  I have tried compact view, no difference.

Can anyone advise?

Gareth

I'm running dual monitors here and have never seen the behavior your describing.  My guess is that you have some other program installed that shows your webcam's output in the foreground whenver the webcam is started.

The small window of the incoming video you describe is probably a pop-out that the newer versions of Skype provide when Skype is not in focus but a video call is in progress.   As an aside, you can disable that pop-out by clicking on Tools > Options > Calls and unchecking "Show call controls when Skype is in the background."

When you're on a video call next, try double clicking on the Skype icon in the system tray, or clicking on Skype on the Task Bar.  Either of those may bring Skype into the foreground and correct the problem. 

If that doesn't work, I'm guessing you'll have to find what other program is causing your own video to be in the foreground.  What you're experiencing is not normal Skype behavior.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 902
Message 3 of 3 (1,794 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling