Problem with video on new Skype version

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Problem with video on new Skype version

Since I downloaded the newest version of Skype on my laptop, my daughter has been unable to see my video on her mac.  There is no problem with any other contact for her or for me.  I can see and hear her perfectly, and she can hear me, but there is no video, although it is showing that it is on when we Skype. 

Marilynanne107
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (18,335 Views)

Re: Problem with video on new Skype version

Is your daughter running the latest version for Mac?  Ask her to click on Skype > About Skype for the specifc version number.  The current version as of today is 5.7.0.1037.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 861
Message 2 of 15 (18,325 Views)

No, she deleted the newer version of Skype because it wasn't working with any of her contacts. She re-installed the older one and had no problem with it until I downloaded the latest version on my computer, and now they seem to be incompatible (for my computer video only).  She is reluctant to go back to the new version for the mac, because she had so much trouble with it originally. 

Marilynanne107
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (18,322 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok.   For whatever it's worth, I have many friends and family all running the current version of Skype on their Macs, and my wife runs it on her MacBook Pro.  I don't have trouble with video calls to any of them with Windows version 5.9.0.114.

Speaking of which, you might check to see if that's the version you actually have installed.  Click on Help > About Skype to see the specific version you're running.  If it's not 5.9.0.114, update via this link:  http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

If that doesn't help, I don't have any other ideas at the moment.  Hopefully someone else will come along with a suggestion that works for you.

edit:  One more suggestion....if do you the latest version and the problem still happens, once you're on a call with your daughter try turning your video off for a few seconds and then back on, with the webcam button on the toolbar at the buttom of the Skype window.

Sometimes that will jumpstart a reluctant video fee.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 15 (18,319 Views)

Thanks so much!! She re-installed the latest version of Skype (and held her breath) and it worked! We really appreciate your help. Great service!!!!
Marilynanne107
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (18,310 Views)

:(y):   Glad to hear the good news.  It started my day off with a smile. 

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 15 (18,284 Views)

I downloaded the new version of Skype, I no longer have the icon for video and I'm unable to make video calls??   Wish I had the old version back,Help!

carolaw12
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 15 (17,828 Views)

I just opened nvidia driver, added skype to the programs which are monitored by the graphic drivers and picked the intel graphic chip for skype only and now the video works as before and for the other programs can be set for the nvidia graphic card. Dont need any drivers, just select if u want on board graphic chip or nvidia graphic card. Thats what worked for me.

p3t3r666
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 15 (12,987 Views)

I got that Skype full and it worked like a charm. It seemed to take me back to a previous edition, but whatever. Thank you!!
Deadtigers
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 15 (12,949 Views)

No video from Windows on latest version to PPC Macs running Skype version 2.8.  Video works fine on these Mac computers to Linx, or other Macs.  Does the latest version of Skype block Skype to older versions of Skype?

I am aware that there was a massive back lash against Skype for forcing the Mac community from the very slick, minimalist and stable version 2.8 onto the Windows like current series, dubbed by many as Tonka Toy Skype.  Is Skype trying to force users off this old and far far far superior version of Skype onto the new and unstable version with such a bad interface it was christened Tonka Toy Skype?

peterchdad2kkec
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 76
Message 10 of 15 (12,684 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling