Problem with recording device

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Problem with recording device

When I initiate a Skype video call it rings twice and terminates the call.  I get an error message "Problem with recording device.  When someone calls me, I hear them just fine but their picture is frozen and I don't see me.  My video test works just fine.

HELP! 

almeltzer
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 29 (12,997 Views)

Re: Problem with recording device

The problem-with-recording-device error is from Skype not playing nicely with the microphone you have selected.

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

What version of Windows?

What type webcam/mic?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 845
Message 2 of 29 (12,990 Views)

I'm having the same problem with the recording device. The call cuts off when I call and when someone tries to call me. I'm using Windows Xp and I just downloaded the lastest Skype updated version. The same message still comes up "Problem with the recording device." What can I do?

tribaldancer
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 29 (12,303 Views)

tribaldancer wrote:

I'm having the same problem with the recording device. The call cuts off when I call and when someone tries to call me. I'm using Windows Xp and I just downloaded the lastest Skype updated version. The same message still comes up "Problem with the recording device." What can I do?

What settings do you see for Microphone in Tools -> Options -> Audio settings?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6327
Message 4 of 29 (12,299 Views)

Here's what I have:

Microphone:Modem#0 Line Record

speakers: SB Live!24-bit

Ringing: used selected speaker

tribaldancer
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 29 (12,290 Views)

Are you sure that you don’t have any other options available for Microphone selection? Click on the dropdown arrow next to these settings.

What type of microphone are you using? What do you see in Windows Sound Control Panel -> Recording Devices?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 29 (12,288 Views)

I'm using the mike that I've always used, the one in my web cam. I haven't changed any of the options. All I did was update Skype yesterday and after that, when I tried to use to to Skype with a friend, it would ring, but not connect. If I picked it up, the call would drop and if the other person I was calling picked it up, the call would also drop. I tried even phoning Echo/Sound Test service and the same thing happened when I tried to pick up that call.

tribaldancer
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 29 (12,285 Views)

Modem#0 Line Record is not a correct Microphone device. Is the microphone working in other applications? Once more: What do you see in Windows Sound Control Panel -> Recording Devices?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 29 (12,283 Views)

I think I solved the problem. I went back and changed the mike setting to HD webcam C27 and it seems to work. Thank you for your assistance.

tribaldancer
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 29 (12,273 Views)

Re: Problem with recording device. when i call everithin is ok i cannot comunicate. see ppictures.

after i connect a sign error say  problem with recording devices

carmensmith7
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 29 (11,984 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling