Problem with playback device

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

When i try to do a call or a videocall is impossible cause i receive the message "Problem with playback device".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled skype without success....

I use windows xp...

HELP ME PLS

showingc2c
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 24 (149,578 Views)

Re: Problem with playback device

[ Edited ]

Please see this and follow the instructions and reboot. Please copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-working-correctly

If the above fails to resolve this issue, please do this:

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explore enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

You can install the current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 2 of 24 (149,570 Views)

I am trying to correct the same issue. Video calling was working just fine. Then I had some virus and worm issues and had my computer fixed. Now it tells me that I have a Problem with the playback device. I am trying to follow the instructions below and I am not sure where I should be entering %programfiles% and %appdata%\skype in windows explorer and is windows explorer different from windows file explorer

VinceM
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 24 (149,418 Views)

You can use a Run command window as well to enter the text. To invoke a run command window you can use both these keyboard keys at the same time:

Windows Key ("Looks like a flag") and the "R" key.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

%appdata%\skype

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 24 (149,415 Views)

TheUberOverLord wrote:

Please see this and follow the instructions and reboot. Please copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-working-correctly

%appdata%\skype

%programfiles%

You can install the current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Also, do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord wrote:

%appdata%\skype

%programfiles%

TheUberOverLord wrote:

%appdata%\skype

%programfiles%

Hello, I'm trying to call/ video call computer. It shows problem with playback device. I'm using windows 7 and my computer is up to date with latest windows update and latest direct x driver software, version of 11.0 something. Can you please tell me how to fix this problem. Can you please get back to me ASAP!!!

yawarabrar
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 24 (149,391 Views)

Thank you very much. I followed the instructions and everything is working as it should. Thank you.

VinceM
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 24 (149,375 Views)

[ Edited ]

You are very welcome, glad to help.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 24 (149,373 Views)

Everytime i click video call it doesn't get thru and just post a sign telling " problem with playback device". Please help me with this. THANKS.

winsilao
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 24 (148,962 Views)

winsilao wrote:

Everytime i click video call it doesn't get thru and just post a sign telling " problem with playback device". Please help me with this. THANKS.

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to your system and any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Please also see these:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

If you are using WIN7 please see this: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10330/Sound-guide-Windows-7

http://support.skype.com/en-us/category/CALL_QUALITY/

Note: the above link has 2 pages so please view them both.

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA265/How-can-I-make-a-test-call

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10746/How-can-I-improve-my-audio-quality

Also, you can use the Skype client program window at anytime and do:

Hellp -> Call Quality Guide -> Sound Check Wizard

A new version has just been released August 23, 2011:

Please download from here and when prompted click the open or run button: http://skype.com/go/getskype-full

This new version is 5.5.0.114 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to your system and any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Please see these:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

http://support.skype.com/en/category/VID_CALL

Also, you can use the Skype client program window at anytime and do:

Hellp -> Call Quality Guide -> Sound Check Wizard

Note: The Sound Check Wizard also supports Video as well.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 24 (148,937 Views)

Hello, I've tried all the above with no luck. I'm on XP, Nvidia 5200 graphics card, logitech cam. I just tried downloading ooVoo and it works. I'm not sure why I can't get Skype to work. The camera is good as it works on other laptop
datspeed13
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 24 (148,046 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling