Problem with Skype 5.5.0.114 on Windows XP Pro

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Problem with Skype 5.5.0.114 on Windows XP Pro

Hi, I am using Skype for several years. I never was so disappointed with Skype like with this last version. I am using Skype 5.5.0.114 on Windows XP Pro.

It is much slower then the last one. Often I have problem with remember the password option. I check that option but still Skype have problem to logon because of problem with remember the password option. Is there some patch? Is there any feedback from another users of Skype.

All the best from Vuk from Serbia

mileusnic11211
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (3,269 Views)

Re: Problem with Skype 5.5.0.114 on Windows XP Pro

mileusnic11211 wrote:

Hi, I am using Skype for several years. I never was so disappointed with Skype like with this last version. I am using Skype 5.5.0.114 on Windows XP Pro.

It is much slower then the last one. Often I have problem with remember the password option. I check that option but still Skype have problem to logon because of problem with remember the password option. Is there some patch? Is there any feedback from another users of Skype.

Once the "Logon when Skype starts" option is set, the trick is to always exit Skype by right clicking on the Skype Icon in the system tray and choosing quit.

Yes, the logon process is slower because the newer Skype clients use IE ("Internet Explorer") programmatically now.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 9 (3,177 Views)

[ Edited ]

The choice to use embedded IE (Internet Explorer) to do the login and Home window increases the system memory requirements of Skype. This was a poor choice by the developers of Skype.

Any addons to IE also get loaded into memory even if they are not being used so the ammount of free memory is reduced drastically. Skype has to wait for IE to load hidden in the background before it can display the login page which is the cause for slow performance at startup.

If you have 2Gb of memory or less then the system needs to swap chunks of memory to the hard drive when they are not used often. This slows Skype as it waits for that memory to be loaded back from the hard drive when you go to use it again!

To minimize the impact of Skype using embedded IE you can try a few different things.

1. Remove any addons from IE that you do not really need like the many tool bars people tend to have installed. The addon manager can be found in the IE tools menu. Disable all the addons you do not use. Or uninstall them in Programs and Features (Windows Vista/7) or Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) in the Control Pannel.

2. Keep the system drive defragmented by running the defrag utility regularly, once a week for systems used a lot or once a month for those not used often should be regular enough.

3. Reduce the number of programs that run at startup in the background.

4. Consider increasing the amount of memory in your computer. 32-bit versions of Windows will not use more than 3Gb of memory so if you want to use more you will need to upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows.

You can also find elsewhere in this forum instructions on using the legacy login window in Skype. This will speed up login but you will still get the performance issues while using Skype where it still uses embedded IE.

Tanjo3000
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 9 (3,169 Views)

I've never posted on here before but this is a pretty serious issue, so I thought I'd help post and raise the issue.  It's SO much slower on my computer that I would like to downgrade.  

I'm on Windows 7 Pro with a .

Please fix this Skype!!  I know MS just bought you, but please still be fast and user-friendly.  I like Skype but productivity is important and we don't want to be forced to use Google Talk, etc.

AnotherChris
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 9 (3,152 Views)

Tanjo3000 wrote:

The choice to use embedded IE (Internet Explorer) to do the login and Home window increases the system memory requirements of Skype. This was a poor choice by the developers of Skype.

Any addons to IE also get loaded into memory even if they are not being used so the ammount of free memory is reduced drastically. Skype has to wait for IE to load hidden in the background before it can display the login page which is the cause for slow performance at startup.

You can also find elsewhere in this forum instructions on using the legacy login window in Skype. This will speed up login but you will still get the performance issues while using Skype where it still uses embedded IE.

Interesting stuff. We may be thinking of the word "embedded" differently though. You don't mean that Skype is packaging a form of IE in itself, do you?  I hope not, since that would be unnecessary when programs can leverage the IE framework that exists. In looking at the DLLs window for Skype.exe in Process Explorer, I see tell-tale files like ieframe.dll that make it seem like this is the case, but I'm not terribly familiar with the process.

Also, thankfully, it doesn't appear that it's inhaling all add-ons. What a disaster that would be. It seems to have a peculiar subset of them, at least according to a comparison of the DLLs mentioned in IE's Add-ons section and the ones shown in Process Explorer for Skype.exe. It has chosen to include the worst of all possible add-ons though: Flash.

Note: all of the above was with /legacylogin, which may be helping things to a degree above and beyond correcting the known login blemish.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 101
Message 5 of 9 (3,140 Views)

mileusnic11211 wrote:

Rather than SIGNING OUT, simply right click on the systray icon and select QUIT

When you re-start Skype you will be automatically signed in.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6452
Message 6 of 9 (2,496 Views)

for plzz if you found older vision so send me the link skype and skype rocks plzzz....

hi all umm skype plzz i want the older vision of skype 5.5 not the 5.6 cuz the new version is a bug......

daniyal
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (2,456 Views)

Re: for plzz if you found older vision so send me the link skype and skype rocks plzzz....

daniyal wrote:

hi all umm skype plzz i want the older vision of skype 5.5 not the 5.6 cuz the new version is a bug......

here is the download link for version 5.5.0.124

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 238
Message 8 of 9 (2,446 Views)

Re: for plzz if you found older vision so send me the link skype and skype rocks plzzz....

daniyal wrote:

You can download ANY versions of Skype from OldApps.com

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6452
Message 9 of 9 (2,432 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling