Problem's downloading skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Problem's downloading skype?

Hey guys, i'm on a Windows XP (Sony Vaio) computer and i've had skype before on this computer but had to do a system wipe and obviously lost it. Then when I had downloaded Skype and tried to click the "SkypeSetup" file the following message automatically shows up. 

"We are having problems connecting to the download server.

To download an alternative installer for skype, click the Download button."

And I done exactly that, but when I had downloaded the alternative installer, I click the "SkypeSetupFull" file and then it asks for the language, I choose English then agree to the Terms and Conditions, and click the "I agree." Button and then straight away the same exact box apears saying the same thing...

"We are having problems connecting to the download server.

To download an alternative installer for skype, click the Download button."

And I really want Skype at this moment in time, please reply to this post!

- Azzy.

P.S: I have attached a file of the box that apears when I try to download, hope that helps.

AzzyHasFaith
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 13 (7,838 Views)

Re: Problem's downloading skype?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 582
Message 2 of 13 (7,685 Views)

Thank you for this suggestion.

Sadly, it did not seem to work, I had download it and Agreed to the Terms and conditions and then the same exact box apears.

Can you please give me any alternative ways?

Thanks alot.

P.S: I've included another screenshot of the box that apears. :/

AzzyHasFaith
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 13 (7,676 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6575
Message 4 of 13 (7,666 Views)

Thanks to both of you, it finally it worked! Thanks alot man. <3

AzzyHasFaith
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 13 (7,657 Views)

Hello.  I used this advice and I am getting "a network error occured while attempting to read from this file. http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.8.0.154.msi"

Do you have any other suggestions?  Our issue is that we download the 5.8 version for Windows 7 and the app installed, but when we open it, the screen is just the blue Skype background and no sign in options.

This is a new laptop so it's the first time trying to use Skype on it.  I can sign in just fine from my desktop, but my webcam is on the laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions.

lazarus9674

lazarus9674
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 13 (7,646 Views)

lazarus9674 wrote:

Hello.  I used this advice and I am getting "a network error occured while attempting to read from this file. http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.8.0.154.msi"

Do you have any other suggestions?  Our issue is that we download the 5.8 version for Windows 7 and the app installed, but when we open it, the screen is just the blue Skype background and no sign in options.

This is a new laptop so it's the first time trying to use Skype on it.  I can sign in just fine from my desktop, but my webcam is on the laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions.

lazarus9674

The “a network error occurred while attempting to read from this file … “ error message is most likely due to the fact that you have already installed Skype 5.8 version but using a different installer file. See e.g. this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Unable-to-upgrade-from-Skype-5-3-0-to-5-5/m-p/209558/highlight...

Your problem with not being able to login to Skype is a different but a quite common issue. See this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Community-feedback/Installation-impossible/m-p/489733#M21894

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 13 (7,641 Views)

Thank you.  I found the bottom link response you suggested and tried it just a few mintues ago.  I then uninstalled and installed it again and still just the blue screen.

I checked my programs and only the Skype 5.8 is installed.  I have made sure any others were uninstalled.

any other suggestions?

Thanks. 

lazarus9674
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 13 (7,635 Views)

lazarus9674 wrote:

Thank you.  I found the bottom link response you suggested and tried it just a few mintues ago.  I then uninstalled and installed it again and still just the blue screen.

I checked my programs and only the Skype 5.8 is installed.  I have made sure any others were uninstalled.

any other suggestions?

Thanks. 

Uninstalling/reinstalling will help nothing with your issue. Please continue with your problem in this thread:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/BLUE-SCREEN-instead-on-LOG-IN-OPTIONS/m-p/490171/message-uid/4...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 13 (7,627 Views)

Mine wont download skype either, it keeps saying that something else is installing and that i have to wait untill that is finished but there is nothing installing.

HELP? ! :sad:

connorgriffiths
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 13 (6,793 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling