Privacy settings won't save

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Privacy settings won't save

I keep my privacy settings set to friends only for IMs and calls. I updated my android day before yesterday and now I get IMs and calls from strangers... even on my computer. I checked my privacy settings on my computer and they are now set to anyone for both IMs and calls.. I set them back to FRIENDS ONLY and clicked save but when I checked to see if they were correct they were back to anyone again.. No matter how many times I click save it doesn't save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I have had to change my name, gender and profile pic.. and still I get calls and ims from strangers.. this sucks.. FIX IT PLEASE!!!!!!

momicked12
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 7 (989 Views)

Re: Privacy settings won't save

I'm having the same issues... constantly getting calls and messages from strangers both on my phone (Samsung Galaxy SII) and on computer. I'm getting so irritated that I never want to get on Skype again!

sophiloph
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 7 (867 Views)

I thought this problem had been fixed but some time ago, users who had Android devices with Skype installed were finding their privacy settings wouldn't save.

You might try uninstalling Skype from your mobile and see if privacy settings will then stick in Windows.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 846
Message 3 of 7 (865 Views)

Ugh I am having the save problem. ON my phone and computer I get calls from random people. If I go into my privacy settings and save my desired settings then reopen to privacy settings it will not save. Its really annoying to have these internet perverts IM me constantly. My phone is a HTC desire HD. If this is not fixed then consider me no longer a PAYING customer.....

rikkupod
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 7 (833 Views)

[ Edited ]

Be sure Skype is completely closed and off on your mobile and PC. Re-open Skype on your computer only and try to change them again.

If that fails you can try the fallowing.

Stop running Skype > Start > Run > %appdata%\skype > Delete Shared.xml (Alt Shared) > Start Skype

Still not working.

Stop running Skype > Start > Run > %appdata%\skype > Delete Users File > Start Skype > Re-enter your sign in information > Sign in

momicked12 wrote:

I keep my privacy settings set to friends only for IMs and calls. I updated my android day before yesterday and now I get IMs and calls from strangers... even on my computer. I checked my privacy settings on my computer and they are now set to anyone for both IMs and calls.. I set them back to FRIENDS ONLY and clicked save but when I checked to see if they were correct they were back to anyone again.. No matter how many times I click save it doesn't save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I have had to change my name, gender and profile pic.. and still I get calls and ims from strangers.. this sucks.. FIX IT PLEASE!!!!!!

Regards,
Beowolfv

-If I Answered Your QuestionThenPlease Give "KUDOS" And Mark It As A "SOLUTION" So Others Can Find Help.
Beowolfv
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 20
Message 5 of 7 (828 Views)

This is the fix to this ridiculous bug. I hate getting the random spam that the unauthorized changes allow! Yikes - what if a kid was using Skype and some randoms came across. Skype needs to get this fixed permanently asap.

Anyway, back to the fix. Open Skype, set your status to offline, change the "privacy" settings. They should then stick - well at least until they don't again . . . I read this fix somewhere, but can't find where this time round. Thanks to whoever first posted it. It seems to work, until it doesn't. But at least it's something!

pskype
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 7 (698 Views)

My account was hacked, so I just trying to remove my info, but the f-ing program won't save my new info of just inputting new fake info into the boxes as suggested by the help screen for deleting the account.  I read prevoious suggestion to log out of all other devices.  I have done that, but it still doesn't work.  

So in short...I hate this F---ING program!   I'm will never ever ever use anything microsoft again!  They ruin everything!

qwerty12345
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (301 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling