PS3 Eye Camera not being recognized by Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

PS3 Eye Camera not being recognized by Skype

I recently downloaded and installed the latest version of Skype, and when attempting to set my video options, I was told by the program that it could not find a webcam. As evidenced by the title, I use a Sony PS3 Eye USB Camera as my webcam. This seems to be isolated only to Skype, as the PS3Eye is recognized as a camera by my web browser and instant messager programs. In addition, every other time I start Skype, it gives me a "Disk I/O Error" and does not start the program; I have to completely quit and restart Skype to get it to work.

I am currently using Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition, and I have the latest version of the PC drivers for the camera installed. I also am up-to-date with my video card drivers.

tehrebound
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (51,398 Views)

Re: PS3 Eye Camera not being recognized by Skype

tehrebound wrote:

every other time I start Skype, it gives me a "Disk I/O Error"

one of several possible reasons is that diverse temporary files were not cleaned by skype as they should. you may remove them alltogether by doubleclick on a batch-file that I use for simplifying maintenance:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c23dbae727420816&id=C23DBAE727420816!171

tehrebound wrote: skype could not find a webcam. but PS3Eye is recognized as a camera by instant messager programs.

if only skype does not work with the camdrivers, you may try to use  the PS3eye drivers within the intermediate driver manycam, and then let skype work with the webcam driver "many virtual webcam"

http://download.cnet.com/ManyCam-Virtual-Webcam/3000-2348_4-10593500.html?tag=mncol

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 636
Message 2 of 12 (51,396 Views)

Click the link.
PS3 WEBCAM DRIVER

you want the CL eye driver (bottom left) you may need to update drivers and point it to the CL driver. it will allow skype to work.

wassco
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 12 (49,968 Views)

How do you update the drivers and point it to the CL Driver? I just installed it from the link and in device manager, it says that its currently up to date, but I still don't see the PS3 eye in Skype at all
Games4Uoc
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 12 (47,838 Views)

my mic on it is working but my video is not i dont get why this is happening it says there is no camera found

edwardw22
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (44,151 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had to install drivers from code laboratories (cl-eye platform driver) and manycam before it worked...

It used to work just with the drivers... suspicious, aint it?  I am especially dubious of manycam which still tried to install the Ask toolbar despite me unticking the box.

mrshrkbt
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (43,253 Views)

I just got a PS3 eye cam today and same problem.  I had trouble getting CL-eye windows drivers to work, but ended up installing in safe mode as recommended, and upon reboot Windows 7 updated the camera driver.  Then I was able to see the video output in the CL-Eye Test program.  

Problem:  I could not see the PS3 EYE under video options in Skype

Solution:  I chose the "share desktop" option, and selected to share only the window that CL-Eye Test was running in.  Tested it out and a friend commented that thought it was strange to see the window and menus, the picture looked great!

If you're struggling to get Skype to recognize the PS3 Eye Cam, give up and just share the test window!  Skype should still be able to use the built in microphone.

m0nsieur
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 12 (42,968 Views)

Thank you. I didn't know about that feature.

I still find it odd skype recognises the ps3eye with manycam. It must be using its API...
Posted from Generic Android
mrshrkbt
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (42,961 Views)

where is the "share desktop" option please?

Libertine
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 12 (40,735 Views)

PS3 Eye Camera don't work only in Skype 6.0. In Skype 5.* Camera works great.

COBA
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 12 (34,774 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling