Orange Dot next to contacts doesn't go away?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Orange Dot next to contacts doesn't go away?

So when my friends message me, I usually get a aound alert, as well as an orange dot to signify I have a new message. Whenever I view the message, the orange dot usually goes away. But for the past day or so, the orange dot never goes away. One time it even said I had 300+ new messages cause I was talking to my friend.

Can someone help me? its really annoying me

xemorth
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (2,297 Views)

Re: Orange Dot next to contacts doesn't go away?

Try to reset Skype Settings
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-auto-logs-off/m-p/938210/highlight/true#M69026

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6305
Message 2 of 8 (2,278 Views)

For me simple Skype restart fixed the problem.

igorgel
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (2,023 Views)

I have started getting this problem intermittently.

Yes, a settings reset or restart of Skype resolves the problem but it's very annoying to do so each time I have this problem. 

Any permanent solution ?

Thanks

talkative
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 8 (1,797 Views)

I found another way to get rid of the Orange dot when it refuses to go...

Change to default view (under view menu) - close the chat window which has the orange dot and then double click on the contact name with the orange dot again to open the chat window and voila the dot disappears.

I must add, I hate going into default view since I generally chat with a few people together and I always prefer the compact view...

I can see this issue floating around since 2011 at least on skype communities.... so i dont expect this this to be fixed anytime soon.

Dear Skype team, make the application open source and we can help you fix it :happy: ... Oh wait, it's Microsoft now.. so just forget it !!!!

talkative
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (1,790 Views)

This might happen if your conversation partner(s) are signing in again from a location where they have chatted with you a while (days, weeks) ago. You get older conversation contact synced with your Skype and get a new "unread message" event.

The easiest way to get rid of it is right-clicking on the conversation in the "recent" list and selecting "Mark as read" from the context menu.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13125
Message 6 of 8 (1,786 Views)

No, Claudius, it's not because contacts are logging on different computer.

For example, I'm chatting with someone and yellow dots are not going off. New messages are sent ok to and from, but yellow dots stay on. 

igorgel
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (1,783 Views)

igorgel wrote:

No, Claudius, it's not because contacts are logging on different computer.

For example, I'm chatting with someone and yellow dots are not going off. New messages are sent ok to and from, but yellow dots stay on. 

I totally agree with @igorgel.

Happened with me this morning. A colleague in office was logged in before I did. She sent me a message few minutes after I logged in - I got the Orange Dot ! I replied and then we chatted and besides the Orange dot in the Recent Tab, there was an Orange dot with each message that she sent.

It just refused to go....

talkative
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 8 (1,779 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling