Options: Default "Use _ _ _ port for incoming conn...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Options: Default "Use _ _ _ port for incoming connections" - What's the number?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm a Newbie to Skype, and I've just installed it on my Win7 PC. I was just going through Tools/Options and tweaking a few of the basic User preference type settings, and when I clicked on 'Save' to close the dialog box I got an "Invalid Port" pop-up error dialog box message.

I've now gone to Tools/Options/Advanced Settings/Connection, and I notice that there's no number present [i.e. the box is blank] in the "Use <blank> port for incoming connections", however, the "Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections" box is checked. Does the "Invalid Port" error message indicate that there should be a number entered into the aforementioned blank box, or is there something else that requires my attention?

FYI: I haven't used or connected to Skype at all at this point . . . 'still a Skype virgin :wink:

Kev'. (UK)

Edit - FYI Also: "Enable uPnP" box IS also checked [by default - not by me]

Edit 2 [Ooops!]: Having just read a 'recommended' associated previous post, I should also have mentioned that I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router With SpeedBooster - Model WRT54GS' in the mix - Therefore, do I perhaps need to 'tell it' about Skype so that it can 'allocate a port' or something . . . ????  

This widget could not be displayed.
Tamim
Super Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

You can type any port between 1024 and 65535.

and ignore the "Invalid Port" error message (Click OK)

Which ports need to be open to use Skype for Windows desktop?

View solution in original post
Kshaky
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (14,330 Views)

Re: Options: Default "Use _ _ _ port for incoming connections" - What's the number?

You can type any port between 1024 and 65535.

and ignore the "Invalid Port" error message (Click OK)

Which ports need to be open to use Skype for Windows desktop?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6083
Message 2 of 5 (14,294 Views)

Re: Options: Default "Use _ _ _ port for incoming connections" - What's the number?

Hi Tamim,

I've now entered "1025", and the 'Invalid Port' message has been superseded by the "Your settings will be applied . . . etc" message. Hopefully all will now be well when I finally get the webcam & microphone in place so that I can finally get around to using Skype 'in anger'.

Thanks.

Kshaky
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (14,289 Views)

You're welcome.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6083
Message 4 of 5 (14,285 Views)

Hi I'm using an app from internet on tv from Pansonic and the skype app when signed in on screen "says-cannot detect camera". I am using a Logitech HD tv cam. All is set up on Logitech set up but can't connect app of TV. I've tried to go to advanced settings and there is "incoming connection port". What numbers or number do I put in? The webcam is connected with an. HDMI cable to HDMI 1 and internet connection is wifi connect to Netgear300. I have a great signal but tv doesn't recognized camera or audio. What do I do?
Posted from BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900
cobraGT350
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 5 (13,634 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling