No ringing sound on incoming calls

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

No ringing sound on incoming calls

I have Skype ever. 5.5.59.124 (the latest version) and Windows 7.

I continue to have a problem with the incoming call not ringing (no sound).  Everything else with Skype work OK, but the incoming call has never worked.  I have to be looking at the telephone icon to know I have an incoming call. I have deleted Skype and reloaded the program several time to no avail. 

I have two external speakers and they work on everything including Skype.

Under Tools, Options, the audio setting  shows the Microphone as (Microphone (HD Pro Webcam C910) a Logistic webcam unit I use for Skype.  For the speaker it shows (High Definition Audio Device). Ring setting is (Ring on all devices)

Under Sounds I have reset everything to default.

In my computer control panel under sound devices, under (Playback) I have Speakers set as Default Device (Check mark in red circle) and a Digital Audio (S/PDIF) device set as Default Communications Device (Phone receiver in red circle). I have swapped these around trying to get the incoming ring, but nothing works.

All programs and the operating systems are updated including Skype.

As I said Skype works….. video, and speakers on both ends of a conversation, but it does not ring on an incoming call.  I have tried everything Skype suggest on the web site, but nothing works.    There has to be an answer to this…any ideas? 

Please use plain text.
Arrow77
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 31 (30,240 Views)

Re: No ringing sound on incoming calls

what happens if you check and select "ringtone", then click on the "play sound" button as shown here:

skype-5.5-sound-test-local.jpg

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
Please use plain text.
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 635
Message 2 of 31 (30,051 Views)

I am having the same issue. Recently started using HP USB speakers through a docking station. When I click play this sound, the sound plays fine through the system. I have tried every settings and also delete the config.xml and shared.xml.
Please use plain text.
q1911
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 31 (30,006 Views)

[ Edited ]

1. Can you make sure that you are using the most current version of Skype, if you are not on version 5.8.0.154 ("You can use the main Skype window menu and click on Help -> About Skype") to check your version, then please click on the link below that says "Windows 5.8" to install over what you currently have now.

2. Make sure that your Audio settings for Skype are set to ring on ALL devices:

ringalll.png 

You can get to your audio settings to make this change by using the Main Skype program window and then using the menu:

Tools -> Options -> General -> Audio Settings

Note: If you see a button that says "Show Basic Settings" click on it.

If you make any changes, please make sure to click the "Save" button.

Please use plain text.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 4 of 31 (30,004 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue, except I'm on Skype 5.8.0.158 on Windows Server 2003 R2. And under "Audio settings", for "Ringing" I can chose between "Use selected speaker" or "SigmaTel Audio". But neither setting works.

I have no outgoing call sound either.

Chosing "Play this sound" under "Sounds" does work as expected.

Cheers,

Colin

Please use plain text.
cthart
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 5 of 31 (29,774 Views)

I have exactly the same problem ..word perfect , tried everything !

Please use plain text.
alwhittle
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 31 (29,720 Views)

I also have this exact same problem. I have tried all the troubleshooting solutions and nothing works. I don't get a pop up and I dont hear any sound when someone is calling my skype number. I hear sound for everything else and the test sound works.

Please use plain text.
clandrews1
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 31 (29,488 Views)

same for me it's very annoying

Please use plain text.
chedli_r
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 31 (29,406 Views)

I have exactly the same issue on windows 7 with the latest skype 5.9.0.114.

By the way, I want the old skype contact icons back (skype 3), it's very hard to distinguish the online user from a regular phone number on the list, they look similar.

Please use plain text.
JavaIO
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 31 (29,308 Views)

I too have no ring to PC speakers on incoming calls to my Online number.  The test for ring tone does go to the speakers.  I do not have call forwarding, and have set VM pick up time to 90 seconds.  Callers report one ring then straight to VM.  I do not hear even the one ring on speakers.  In audio settings I have set ringing to "speakers" instead of all devices.  All devices was the original setting and did not work.  I have unchecked pick up calls automatically.  My calls are not muted.  I have incoming skype calls set to anyone.  I do use logitech headset on calls which is always plugged into PC.  My skype version is up to date.

Why does ring testing work and calls from my cell to Skype number ring to speakers but actual call to my online number does not ring on speakers??  Why doesn't VM answer pick time not work?? Why can't I set the number of rings before going to VM?? 

Running Windows 7 64 bit and have US subscription for landlines/mobile calls as well as for online number. 

It is very irritating to pay for an online number but not be able to hear the number ring to answer it. 

Please use plain text.
akd
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 31 (29,287 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling