Re: No "Quit" option in Skype 5.5?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

ruwim wrote:
I have just made an experiment. Set Skype to “Run as administrator mode”. The Quit item in the taskbar icon disappeared! I’m not saying that every one who doesn’t have the Quit item is running Skype in “as administrator” mode but maybe this has something to do with the Windows login. Are you logged in Windows as user with administrator rights or as Administrator? If you execute %appdata%\skype, what do you see for the Windows user name? Just trying to fins some logical relationships, if there are any.

I can confirm that this is also what happened when I tried the procedure a few minutes ago.  

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1276
Message 51 of 94 (1,810 Views)

So, the presence of the Quit item has something to do with the administrative rights. I still don’t understand why everything is working for me. I can ensure you that I don’t have any special agreement with Microsoft, Skype or any other “almighty” institution. Reading this Microsoft article

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.shell.jumplist.aspx

which is much to complicated to me (I’m not .NET programmer), I can only guess is that the requirements might be installation of .NET Framework 4. I have.

You can test which version of .NET is installed on your computer by entering

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)

in your IE address bar. Press Enter and you should get a message window with a list of the installed .NET versions.

walkernews.net/2008/05/16/how-to-check-net-framework-version-installed/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5248
Message 52 of 94 (1,800 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype 5.6 on Win7 pro, without or with SP1, with .net 3.5 or 4.0 :

user account without admin rights: quit option available

user account with admin rights: quit option missing

regards,

Watson :wink:

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 604
Message 53 of 94 (1,788 Views)

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and x86, both running .NET Framework 4. Quit option appears on both, but only when I'm logged on without admin rights.

WalkInTom
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 54 of 94 (1,766 Views)

The issue is now forwarded to Skype developers. Maybe they will respond with some solution for this mysterious problem.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 55 of 94 (1,763 Views)

It seems to also make a difference if you have UAC enabled. I use an account with admin privileges but I can see the menu fine. My boss was running with UAC disabled and he didn't have the menu option but turned it back on and now the menu option is back. If I right-click the skype executable and run as administrator, the menu doesn't show up.

Hope that helps.

Rob_Spencer
Novel Tourist
Message 56 of 94 (1,729 Views)

Yes, yes, yes!!! UAC settings seem to be the crucial point. I did right now the same test. Turned UAC off – No Quit menu from the taskbar. Turned it back to the level I’m usually on (next highest) – Quit menu works again! In the past I was trying to lover the UAC level and this had no effect on the presence of the quit menu, however, until now I have never tried to switch the UAC completely off. The strange thing is that the UAC level has no effect at all on the Jump List for other programs. It only affects Skype. Must be some very strange bug.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 57 of 94 (1,720 Views)

Bingo!

Win7 pro 32bit +/- SP1, user account with admin rights:

Restoring UAC to level "default" and rebooting brings back the missing controls.

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 604
Message 58 of 94 (1,713 Views)

Thank you for raising this issue here.

We have confirmed this issue to be present when you have turned UAC off.

We will have a fix for it soon.

After fixing the Jump list, with quit Skype option, will be available when you have UAC turned off on your computer.
RaulLiive
Staff
Staff icon
Message 59 of 94 (1,705 Views)

its kind of amazing to me that an 8.5 billion dollar company would release an update with an issue this blatant.

benithan00
Casual Adventurer
Message 60 of 94 (1,683 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling