Re: No option to uncheck "keep Skype in tray"!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

No option to uncheck "keep Skype in tray"!

When I close Skype, I don't want it to minimize to the system tray. I want it to close altogether. I've looked around on the Internet, and everyone says the way to do this is to go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced Settings and uncheck "Keep Skype in tray while I'm logged in". However, there is no such option for me!

Untitled.png

I am on Windows 7, fully updated. I just downloaded Skype from the website, so I assume it's the most recent version.

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Sorry, haven’t seen the text line below your image in your first post.

I’m on Windows 7 and for me this option is available on all Skype versions installed on this computer. This is just an example with Skype 5.7 Beta, but exactly the same is the case with Skype 5.3, 5.5, 5.6 and even 4.2.

Advanced_2.jpg

It’s strange that you don’t have this option available on your Skype. The only possible explanation I’m able to provide is that you may have set your Skype to run in Compatibility mode with Vista or Windows XP.

Right click on Skype’s desktop shortcut, select properties and then Compatibility tab. Is the option: “Run this program in compatibility mode for” selected?

In any case, no matter what you will do, using the Close menu will not shut down Skype, but only minimize it either to taskbar or to system tray. There is nothing you can do about this, apart from complaining to Skype developers about this design feature.

Currently, the only way to completely shut Skype down is by using the Quit option

View solution in original post
sgarrison7
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (7,811 Views)

The latest/greatest version is beta 5.7.0.137.  If that's not the version you're running, you can download the installer from this link: www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta

However, I the option you're referring to is "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in."    I suspect what you're experiencing is due to the fact that you're trying to close Skype with the X in the upper right hand corner of the Skype window.  For reasons only known to Skype, that doesn't close Skype, it only mimizes it.

To close Skype completely, right click on the Skype icon in your system tray and click Quit.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 907
Message 2 of 10 (7,649 Views)

Nope, that's not the problem. I know the difference between closing Skype and minimizing it to the tray. The problem precisely is the "Keep Skype in taskbar while I'm signed in" option. The problem is I don't even have the option to uncheck that! Heck, I even provided a screenshot in my post. It kinda tells the story.

For reference, here's what I see on other sites showing me how to do what I want (see image below). Compare that to my screenshot in the first post, and you'll see that I'm clearly missing some options.

I've tried running Skype as administrator, if that matters. It changes nothing.

sgarrison7
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (7,628 Views)

There is a small but very important condition to have this option available – you must be using Windows 7. Neither on Vista or Windows XP, you will see this option. The reason is simple this, that only on Windows 7, the Close button can minimize Skype to taskbar. On XP and Vista, the Close button will always minimize Skype to system try only. Unchecking the mentioned option in Skype on Windows 7, makes Skype to behave like on Vista or XP.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6062
Message 4 of 10 (7,624 Views)

[ Edited ]

I *am* running Windows 7, as I said in my very first post.

I understand the difference between the taskbar and the system tray / notification area. When I close Skype, by using the File -> Close menu, I want it to *not* minimize to the taskbar and to *not* minimize to the system tray. I want it to do neither. When I close it, I want it to close.

It is my understanding that the way to accomplish at least one of these things is to go into the advanced settings, as in the second screenshot I provided. However, as shown in the first screenshot I provided, my Skype somehow does *not* have the option "Keep Skype in taskbar while I'm logged in" even *available* to check or uncheck.

Skype support even mentions this setting: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA11055/How-do-I-remove-Skype-from-the-Taskbar

But that setting is not there at all for me! I have no way of accessing it. The two screenshots show the obvious difference between how it's supposed to be and how it is for me. I don't know how to clarify the problem any further.

sgarrison7
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (7,616 Views)

Sorry, haven’t seen the text line below your image in your first post.

I’m on Windows 7 and for me this option is available on all Skype versions installed on this computer. This is just an example with Skype 5.7 Beta, but exactly the same is the case with Skype 5.3, 5.5, 5.6 and even 4.2.

Advanced_2.jpg

It’s strange that you don’t have this option available on your Skype. The only possible explanation I’m able to provide is that you may have set your Skype to run in Compatibility mode with Vista or Windows XP.

Right click on Skype’s desktop shortcut, select properties and then Compatibility tab. Is the option: “Run this program in compatibility mode for” selected?

In any case, no matter what you will do, using the Close menu will not shut down Skype, but only minimize it either to taskbar or to system tray. There is nothing you can do about this, apart from complaining to Skype developers about this design feature.

Currently, the only way to completely shut Skype down is by using the Quit option

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 10 (7,609 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes! That was it. The compatibility settings. I had set mine to Vista in an earlier attempt to solve this issue. So you're saying there's no way to have Skype close with a single command, a single menu item? I have to go to File -> Close and then right-click the Skype icon in the system tray and select Quit as well? That's so silly. Why should I have to close a program twice just to close it? Sigh. In any case, thank you.

This was quite frustrating and I'm sure I came off as rather curt, so I appreciate your patience in trying to understand the problem. Thanks, again.

sgarrison7
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (7,604 Views)

If you would have been on Skype 5.3 version and Windows 7 64-bit, then setting Skype in Compatibility for Vista would have crashed your Skype.

About quitting Skype - you don’t need to Close Skype before quitting. Just right click on the system tray icon or the taskbar icon and select Quit. The last option is only available on Windows 7.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 10 (7,601 Views)

Ah, well that's counter-intuitive but definitely good to know. Thank you.
sgarrison7
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (7,598 Views)
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12569
Message 10 of 10 (5,604 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling