No option to exit Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

No option to exit Skype

I am running Skype v5.5.0.117 and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Whenever I open Skype I cannot close it from the taskbar. Usually this is accomplished by right-clicking, but when I right-click I do not have that option. Does anyone know what is the matter? I would post a screenshot except it's not allowed.

This widget could not be displayed.
larryhl
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Thanks Primemover. Out of the options not requiring the Task Manager or running a shutdown command only the option to quit Skype from the hidden icons was available to me. Having to shut down a program from the Task Manager, by the way, should only be a last-ditch effort and not a viable way of closing applications...

View solution in original post
larryhl
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (5,795 Views)

Re: No option to exit Skype

Skype certainly will not remove the option to Quit as this is a very basic and important option of the Skype software.  Please visit the link below to see the available Quit option in the recent Skype versions.

Ways to Quit Skype

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1465
Message 2 of 14 (5,668 Views)

Primemover wrote:

Skype certainly will not remove the option to Quit as this is a very basic and important option of the Skype software. 

Considering what we have seen lately, I wouldn't be so sure. It's not like they seem to care about losing users.

TM9000
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 14 (5,663 Views)

Thanks Primemover. Out of the options not requiring the Task Manager or running a shutdown command only the option to quit Skype from the hidden icons was available to me. Having to shut down a program from the Task Manager, by the way, should only be a last-ditch effort and not a viable way of closing applications...

larryhl
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 14 (5,658 Views)

you're welcome.  if you wish to, you can also set the Skype icon to be always visible in your system tray through the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties section (this action will save you an extra click);

the image

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Primemover
Power User
Message 5 of 14 (5,653 Views)

The Windows control buttons in the top-right corner of Windows apps have been standardized as to their functionality since the beginning of Windows. This is why we have standards and an intuitive interface - so that we know the expected results when we click on a button. The 'X' in the top right corner ALWAYS exits the application. This is piss-poor programming design by Skype.

As a work-around, I created a killSkype.cmd file on my desktop with the following command:

taskkill /T /F /IM skype.exe

It forcefully(/F) kills the skype.exe process and any children(/T). Unfortunately, this does not allow the processes to close gracefully and clean up after themselves, but we have the Skype designers to thank for that.

patrickg2525
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 14 (5,586 Views)

patrickg2525 wrote:

The Windows control buttons in the top-right corner of Windows apps have been standardized as to their functionality since the beginning of Windows. This is why we have standards and an intuitive interface - so that we know the expected results when we click on a button. The 'X' in the top right corner ALWAYS exits the application. This is piss-poor programming design by Skype.

As a work-around, I created a killSkype.cmd file on my desktop with the following command:

It forcefully(/F) kills the skype.exe process and any children(/T). Unfortunately, this does not allow the processes to close gracefully and clean up after themselves, but we have the Skype designers to thank for that.

If you are on Win7 please allow Skype to be placed in the System tray: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA11055/How-do-I-remove-Skype-from-the-Taskbar

You then can simply right click on the system tray icon for Skype and choose "Quit" which other versions of Windows can do normally.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 570
Message 7 of 14 (5,583 Views)

TheUberOverLord wrote:

If you are on Win7 please allow Skype to be placed in the System tray:

support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA11055/How-do-I-remove-Skype-from-the-Taskbar

You then can simply right click on the system tray icon for Skype and choose "Quit" which other versions of Windows can do normally.

As already explained by Primemover, the Skype icon is ALWAYS placed in the system try but sometimes might be hidden. It’s also explained in Primemover’s post how to unhide this icon. The referred Skype Support article has nothing to do with this subject. It only explains the procedure for avoiding that Skype icon appears in the taskbar on close.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5758
Message 8 of 14 (5,570 Views)

ruwim wrote:

TheUberOverLord wrote:

If you are on Win7 please allow Skype to be placed in the System tray:

support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA11055/How-do-I-remove-Skype-from-the-Taskbar

As already explained by Primemover, the Skype icon is ALWAYS placed in the system try but sometimes might be hidden. It’s also explained in Primemover’s post how to unhide this icon. The referred Skype Support article has nothing to do with this subject. It only explains the procedure for avoiding that Skype icon appears in the taskbar on close.

It does have an impact on what happens to Skype, when the Skype window is minimized vs the ("x") being clicked, and yes, the icon can be hidden on all versions of Windows which should be checked as well.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 570
Message 9 of 14 (5,554 Views)

patrickg2525 wrote:

Hi patrickg2525!

generally speaking, the function of the "X" icon on Windows may vary depending on the application being used.  In programs like the Window Explorer, Moxilla Firefox, Adobe Photoshop, etc, clicking the "X" will quit or close the window and the program.

However, in other applications such as anti-virus software, webcam software, messengers such as Yahoo, Skype and MSN, and many other Windows application, clicking the "X" will only close the application window, and will not terminate the program itself.  

So if you haven't yet, you can visit the link below to check the avaiilable ways of quiting Skype without the need of any third party program or script;

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/QUIT-SKYPE-Menu-Selection/m-p/91970/message-uid/91970/highligh...

if you prefer using a shortcut for closing Skype, then you can try procedure # 5.  I think at least 1-2 of the ways to quit Skype should be available in the OS you are using.

Primemover
Power User
Message 10 of 14 (5,550 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling