No option for video chat on WIndows 8 HP desktop S...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

No option for video chat on WIndows 8 HP desktop Skype app

We bought an HP desktop computer two weeks ago as well as an HP Webcam HD-3100 to go with it (for Skype). Upon installing the application on the Start screen, we tried to search for our friend and couldn't find him. He told us he found us and tried to add us, but he needed us to add him back. We didn't get any notification of his adding us whatsoever. Finally, his username popped up after we tried searching it again and after clicking "add to contacts", he accepted. We called him (as a green phone button) and we only saw him. Our HP Webcam HD-3100 was turned on, but he couldn't see us. He told us to click on the green video button next to the green phone button. However, we see no such thing. There is no green video button. There is only a green phone button and a blue "+" sign. Why is there no such green video button for video chatting?

svetlana_b
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (663 Views)

Re: No option for video chat on WIndows 8 HP desktop Skype app

[ Edited ]

Which version of Skype do you use?
Run Skype >> WinKey + C >> Settings >> About.

Please See.

Making a video call (Windows 8 )

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 5786
Message 2 of 8 (651 Views)

Hello and thank you for responding promptly.

I use Version 1.3.0.112

svetlana_b
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (645 Views)

Please see the above FAQ.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 8 (639 Views)

In order to search for video settings on Skype, I need to locate the menu bar, which the Windows 8 application does not have. In fact, the Windows 8 Skype application from the store doesn't have much. Just the logo, my recent calls, my favorites, and "people". This is it. I do not know how to locate a menu bar, seeing (or lack thereof) as that I do not have one. Also, while trying to go onto Skype for the desktop version on the internet, it leads me straight to downloading the Skype from the Windows store. I am ultimately led to use ONLY the application.

svetlana_b
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (635 Views)

You can use this link to install Skype desktop client

How do I get the desktop version of Skype on Windows 8?

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 8 (630 Views)

I have saved and ran Skype for desktop, thank you, however upon locating it in my "Downloads" and double-clicking it, it does nothing after I hit "Yes" (when asking if I'd like Skype to make changes to my computer. I don't know what to do.

svetlana_b
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (628 Views)

Please use this direct link to download the latest versions of skype

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

i gave you the MSI installer. just click on the link i have given above, and download it on your "desktop"

when you got it, double click on it (run) and start installation. then Join it.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 8 (626 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling