My nephew wants me to get Skype so he can see me b...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

My nephew wants me to get Skype so he can see me but I have a few questions first.

[ Edited ]

First let me say I don't like downloading stuff. My computer nearly brokedown on me a short while ago when the registry stopped working and I had to restore back to factory date. My Hard drive is on the verge of dying on me. (Sadly I have no money yet to get that replaced.) I had problems with maleware a few days ago that was starting to cause problems for my computer that took hours to get rid of. So, here is my questions.

How much memory will it take up?

I have Vista so is it compatible with that?

Viruses can end up being embedded in things that are download. Could there be a possibility that I will end up with another virus that is as bad as the Trojan PSW.Generic_c.AUV virus that I had a few days ago?

How well protected is it against hijackers, Hackers, and Crackers?

I do not have a webcam or a microphone do I actually need them to talk to my nephew?

Will using Skype make my hard drive have to work harder then what the poor thing already works now?

How well is Skype protected against Viruses, maleware, spyware, and adware?

My computer doesn't handle long running programs to well. Is this something that will immediately load up when I log onto my computer?

Also, why do I need an account just to ask something on a forum?

I want you to know I was not happy or pleased that I had to register at skype just to ask a few questions. You really should think about letting certain spots be where you can ask about something and don't need an account. I don't like submitting any info about me on a site I just seen. I don't care if you say only I will see my info or not. Also, I don't like being offered to download something right after I register.

THanks for any help. Sorry if it sounds mean it was a lot nicer sounding until I found I needed to register and give out info  like my e-mail and name. Also, why do we have to have at least one letter or number in our password choosing? That is about as silly as a fite asking for a secret Q and A.

Iwanttousekitte
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (312 Views)

Re: My nephew wants me to get Skype so he can see me but I have a few questions first.

I really hope you can give me an answer soon. My nephew is in the army and he does like to actually talk to us from time to time.

Iwanttousekitte
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 4 (290 Views)

Re: My nephew wants me to get Skype so he can see me but I have a few questions first.

Hmmm. I had gotten so hopefull only to see the other reply was my own.

Iwanttousekitte
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 4 (280 Views)

You can safely download Skype from here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

Skype requires about 20 MB + some space for your profile and chat data.

However, if you have the mentioned problems with you computer, then there is no guaranty that Skype or any other programs will be able to run.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6938
Message 4 of 4 (269 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling