Since I updated my Skype, it keeps closing as soon as I log in. It won't allow me to do anything before stating that Skype is encountering a problem and closes. I have read over various posts on how to fix the issue, but nothing seems to be working for me. My netbook is fairly new, so I don't not think it has anything to do with my Skype crashing. I have uninstalled and re-installed Skype multiple times in hopes that it would start working. However, nothing seems to be the right solution for my situation. Could I please get some help?
Here are some basic trouble-shooting steps that you can try if you are experiencing problems in logging in or running Skype. You may have already tried some or most of these procedures, just try whichever are still applicable. If possible try them in the order they were listed as the first ones would most likely fix the issues;
1. Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.
2. Enter %appdata%\skype in the Run command (click OK), then look for and delete file named shared.xml.
3. Update your display, audio, webcam, microphone drivers or software. You can also visit the corresponding manufacturer's site to check if there is a new driver for your device.
4. Try the current Skype beta version (version 5.5). Download link pasted below
If the procedures above don't fix the issues, click Spoiler to see additional suggestions;
4. Try to temporarily disable your anti-virus or firewall software, just to check if they are affecting Skype processes in any way. Just don't browse any webpage or use any application that uses internet while your anti-virus or firewall is turned-off. Immediately reactivate them after checking/testing.
5. Do a complete uninstall, then reinstall Skype. here is how to completely uninstall Skype (just back-up all important files and information that you feel is important to you)
6. Run basic computer maintenance such disk defrag, registry cleaning, disk error checking, etc - and also run a full virus scan (just to make sure that your computer is free from any virus/malware that are possibly affecting Skype performance).
If all else fails, you can consider the suggestions below;
7. Restore your computer to a point where Skype was still working.
8. Try to disable or remove add-ons or programs installed prior to the existence of the problem.
9. Install an earlier version of Skype, preferably the last version that worked in your computer. You can download installers of older Skype versions from the address pasted below. The site which link is pasted below is not associated or affiliated with Skype so download at your own risk. A full anti-virus scan of the downloaded installer, and right-after installation is recommended.
Please only consider this action if and only if all the suggestions previously mentioned were already tried.
I have experienced the same situation in the last few days. I run the 18.104.22.168 version on a Windows Vista PC. The program crashes regularly within a few minutes.
Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.
If not resolve this issue, then
Please do a Skype reset:
1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.
Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled
2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"
3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"
4. Re-run Skype
Check if the issue persists