Microsoft Account and Skype for Windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Microsoft Account and Skype for Windows 8

I have created my new Skype account but when I try to log in I get a blue banner across screen asking for my Microsoft account to be used with Skype.

There is cancel button but it will not cancel and I do not want to link with Microsoft.

Anyone help me with this.

Tks Muddy-99

Muddy-99
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 13 (477 Views)

Re: Microsoft Account and Skype for Windows 8

You can install the desktop version and login with your Skype account.

You can install the currently latest Skype 6.3.0.105 desktop version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.3.0.105.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6989
Message 2 of 13 (458 Views)

I did this and it worked fine. Thank you.--until today. Now I am getting the same screen bascially ordering me to link Skype with my Microsoft account. The only way out of it is to reboot the computer. I expect it will pop up again. I wouldn't mind if it asked me if I wanted to link them, but it gives me no choice.

I am already totally PO'd by having been suckered into downgrading from Windows 7 to 8 and now this.

The frustrating thing is that I am leaving tomorrow on a six-week overseas business trip and was counting on Skype to keep in touch with my wife. Too late to get my local shop to switch me back to W7.

I am very close to junking my PC's and switching to Mac. Unfortunately, it will have to wait until I get back.

Wadi
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 13 (427 Views)

This is what I did already--downloaded the new version-- but that stupid screen found me again! Now what? Switch to Mac?

Wadi
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 13 (423 Views)

Are you sure that you are actually starting the desktop version and not the "modern" Skype for Windows 8.

You should always be able to login with you regular Skype account on the desktop version.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 13 (419 Views)

Yes, this is the new version that appears at the bottom of the desktop like with W7.

I just downloaded it recently. I was so relieved to not have to use the horrible version that downloaded when I stupidly switched to Windows 8.

Wadi
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 13 (411 Views)

What exactly is the version of your currently installed Skype program? In Skype go to Help -> About Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 13 (409 Views)

The version is 6.3.0.105

Wadi
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 13 (397 Views)

I was using this 6.3.0.105 version since it was released and until the new 6.3.0.107 was released about a week ago. I have never seen any screen asking me to merge with Microsoft account. Perhaps what you are seeing is a request to update your Skype to the currently latest 6.3.0.107 version. You can do this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.3.0.107.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 13 (393 Views)

No, it was definitely the dreaded "merge" screen that ignores your clicking on "cancel." And upgrad is a bit scary, too. The upgrade is that much more likely to add the merge linkage. But, I'll try it anyway since my wife will be using it while I'm away and she won't know what do do if there is a request to upgrade. (She has an iPad, but it is the 1.0 version with no camera, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Wadi
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 13 (387 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling