Microphone not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Microphone not working

I tried phoning my gran twice last night using skype but it keeps saying my microphone is not working.  I am using a Logitech webcam and it has been fine for years.  This is the first time i have experienced this problem.  I used the webcam to record a video to test the mike and it is working fine.  I then went to Start>run and tested the mike but got no sound.  What is going wrong?

Please keep your answers as simple as possible as I do not know alot about computers.  Thanks.

Gonkboy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 28 (68,820 Views)

Re: Microphone not working

On the Skype menu, go to Tools > Options > Audio settings.   Is your Logitech webcam showing in the Microphone pull down window?  If not, can you select it with the pull down arrow?

When you talk, does the green volume indicator on deflect to the right?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1126
Message 2 of 28 (68,811 Views)

In audio settings i have two choices Sigmatel Audio or USB Audio Device.  I have tried them both but the volume indicator does not show anything green for either of them.

Gonkboy
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 28 (68,808 Views)

[ Edited ]

suggestions;

1. Unplug then plug the mic device again.
2. Test it again using another application just to make sure it is working
3. Update your audio driver and webcam driver/software (if any).
4. Open volume controls, make sure sure that mic is not muted, or not disabled).
5. If the suggestion above doesn't work, you can also try to restore your computer to a point when your mic is still working with Skype.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1260
Message 4 of 28 (68,799 Views)

[ Edited ]

Gonkboy wrote:

In audio settings i have two choices Sigmatel Audio or USB Audio Device.  I have tried them both but the volume indicator does not show anything green for either of them.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, what version of  Windows and what version of Skype are you running?  And what model Logitech webcam?

A very basic question....have you rebooted your PC recently?

Have you tried plugging your webcam in to a different USB port?

If you select video settings in Skype Options, does your webcam show up in the Select webcam window?

I suggest you re-install, or update, the latest Logitech driver:  www.logitech.com/405  This may get your systrem, and thus Skype, to recognize your webcam properly again.

This is what the Skype video settings should look like:

audioset.jpg

In Device Manager, the logitech Webcam should appear in both Imaging Devices and Sound, video, and game controllers, and it both entries the driver should be a late version driver provided by Logitech.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1126
Message 5 of 28 (68,793 Views)

Re: Microphone garbled

My mic suddenly became garbled so no one on the other end could understand (same in test mode).  I tried lots of things and then went to my windows systems (Vista).

Control Panel, Hardware & Sound, Manage Audio Devices, Recording, Advanced, then change default setting from 2ch 16 bit 41000Hz (CD Quality) to 2 ch 96000HZ (Studio Quality).   Perfect sound again.     I don't know what had changed the setting --- problems started when I downloaded the new version of Skype.  This setting change seems to have done the trick.   Hope it helps someone out.   Patrick

Godg37
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 28 (68,756 Views)

My Microphone is not working it is on unmute. I never had a problem with it I have logtech camera what do I need to do to unmute the setting.

Thank you

carlaford49
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 28 (68,667 Views)

Microphone not working

my skype microphone is muted and I am unable to unmute it by clicking on the icon.!!

vinola20
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 28 (68,585 Views)

I recently set up a skype account everything works except the microphone-how do I activate it. It is not muted.

Lynne
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 28 (68,457 Views)

Re: Microphone IS working, but not on Skype

I have reinstalled my Logitech Web Cam, tested it all, mic works and video perfectly on everything else, but not on Skype.   So what's wrong with Skype ?

yucca751
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 28 (68,253 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling