I am getting frustrated.
I have MS Lifecam cinema version 3.6
Windows XP Professional ver 5.1
When I go on Skype everything tests well but when I make a vido call I cant be seen by the other party. I get the message that I can't start Video because another program is using web cam. but there is nothing else running?? I do not see any conflicts.
MS Lifecam software could be your problem.
Use Task Manager to see if Lifecam.exe is running in Processes. If so, end the process and see if Skype can then use your webcam.
Or just uninstall Lifecam and see if that does the trick.
What is the real answer of this problem I had everything working fine about 18 months ago. then for some reason, my web-cam stopped working, and I received the infamous message "Can't start video. "Try closing other programs that might be using your web-cam" I have tried to solve this problem without any success, and consequently I have not been able to used Skype for several months. However as I am constantly asked by friends to get on "Skype" in my FRUSTRATION!!! I have Googled this infamous message "Can't start video etc etc" and discovered The Worlds Biggest Can of Worms!!! everybody and their uncle seems to have this problem!!! and everybody and his uncle seems to be frustrated, and receiving NO SUPPORT! or HELP FROM SKYPE!!! to solve this problem??? Why is This???
I have followed every bit of fix advice that I have been able to find on-line, but nothing seems to work. I have even bought a new web-cam, downloaded latest drivers, I have uninstalled & reinstalled Skype more times than I have had hot dinners!! The sad thing about this is that I am beginning to think that "Skype" either does nor care a dam, or are incapable of fixing this problem?
So is there anybody out there who really knows how to fix this problem once and for all? If there is please HELP!!!
I am using Windows XP SP3 & My Webcam is: Sonix USB2 PC Camera.
This is the best troubleshooting guide for that problem that I know of:
You can try this:
You can also try to reset all Skype settings:
Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or OK button. The Windows File Explorer will popup. Locate there a folder with the name Skype. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.
N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call history. All data are still saved in the Skype_old folder.
09-04-2012 15:54 - edited 09-04-2012 15:55
Did you try resetting your Skype configuration as described above by ruwim?
If you did that, and tried everything in the link I provided earlier, I'm sorry but don't have any further ideas. I hope someone else will jump in with a solution that works for you.
I have just fix the very same problem. I have an old XP machine, which I reinstated so I could pass it on to my seven year old. The computer has not been used for about 2 or 3 years.
Skype and the Microsoft lifecam worked flawlessly when last use; but refused to play fair when I tried to set it back up 5 days ago.
I did waste 5 days to get it to work; but it was a matter of honour, going out to buy another $27 webcam was surrender and defeat.
In my case I basically followed the steps in Microsoft knowledge base (or support) article that I now can’t find. The summary of that article was
a) establish lifecam works using the latest version of its own software (3.6 )
b) close lifecam program (check there are no background processes still running)
c) re-install skype
These steps worked for me.
2. I found Lifecam.exe that runs version 3.6 would not drive the webcam if MSCamS32.exe was running. This was probably something that failed to un-install when version 3.2 was removed. (I’m not sure. see below point 4.)
there was also another program in the start up folder that looked suspect. LifeExp.exeI used msconfig.exe to disabled it from running so far, everything has work without it running at start up. I’m not sure if I will change back to let it run as msconfig.exe keeps asking me to switch back to normal starting
3. Killed MSCamS32.exe in task manager (or process explorer); found the webcam now worked. But it was temperamental I often have to unplug from the USB wait for the device manager dropped hardware sound twice. Then plugged into a different USB port for it to work. The important thing was established; there was no physical problem with the hardware.
4. check that webcam works with only the one process running in task manager ( or process explorer ) [Edit] just rechecked and found LifeCam.exe works even with MSCamS32.exe running so you might find you can ignore point 2.
5. Close LifeCam .exe
6. Download skype from here http://beta.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-
I got this from Uberoverlord from here http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Windows/Mes
7. Once skype has finished installing; open the program, and the go to
Tools > options > video settings; and wait for the lifecam to be initialized
8. if it was successful ; you should see two background process running in task manager (or process explorer) Life tray.exe and LifeEnC2.exe
I believe these are what lets Skype use to lifecam
9. Good luck and may the Lord Jesus bless you with success.