Menu bar

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Menu bar

My Skype menu bar is missing.  None of the options are available at the top of the page such as Tools and Contacts.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled three times.  Any idea how I can restore my menu bar?

johnsandwick
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 8 (4,764 Views)

Re: Menu bar

Note: These instructions will NOT delete your Skype History or transferred files.

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explore enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 2 of 8 (4,763 Views)

I cannnot add new (or even the first) friend.  Where is the SKYPE menu bar?  F 

volpe34
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 8 (4,207 Views)

Have you installed and are you running the Skype program?  Logging in to your account on the Skype website won't work.   If you run Skype from the shortcut created during installation the Contact list and menu bar should be obvious.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 907
Message 4 of 8 (4,205 Views)

Posted from Samsung GT-I9000
jessicaw15
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 8 (3,296 Views)

bj2
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (3,219 Views)

I have the same problem.  When I sign in my account window opens, I cannot access my menu window for chats. 

toyotatundra
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 8 (980 Views)

toyotatundra wrote:

I have the same problem.  When I sign in my account window opens, I cannot access my menu window for chats. 

What is the version of your currently installed Skype program? In Skype go to Help -> About Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6072
Message 8 of 8 (976 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling