Loud white static noise when using Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Loud white static noise when using Skype

Many other people have already posted about this problem. Whenever my husband talks to his family (Skype to Skype) there is a very loud static noise that interrupts the call when using video. It happens nearly every minute and can only be stopped by holding or ending the call. Only we can hear the static. This problem doesn't happen if I am calling my family (Skype to Skype) using video, only his! Connecting headphones to the speaker doesn't make any difference, just blasts your ear drums even more! This problem has been happening for over a year. We bought a new computer recently and the problem happened on both the old and new computer so it doesn't seem to be a problem that can be fixed with a simple software upgrade. Does anyone have any other suggestions or has managed to fix this problem? It's driving us crazy! Perhaps someone can recommend better video calling software than Skype?!
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
Nicolie_ravioli
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (2,470 Views)

Re: Loud white static noise when using Skype

From what you described it sounds like the problem is at the other end of the call, that is, at your husband's family's end.  Do they have the same problem when they're on a call to other contacts?

What type device is your husband's family using?  Mac?  Windows PC?  Etc?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 914
Message 2 of 4 (2,464 Views)

I have same problem when I am calling India on Skype. Both machines are Windows. In India - Windows XP and in US - Brand new laptop Windows 8. In fact, I bought a very good HP Laptop in January 2013 and returned it thinking that it is problem with HP (conflict with Beats Audio which is not correct). I bought Toshiba Laptop in March 2013 and it has the same problem. Now someone says it is a Windows 8 problem.

Anyone from Skype or Microsoft here listening to users... Please help...

vivekohio
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (2,214 Views)

I have this problem too with my HP ENVY m6-1310sa. It seems to be the Beats driver. I changed to a generic one and the skype problem is gone. I think it's to do with Skype compatibility as I don't have this issue at all with other audio/communication applications.

uberduber
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 4 (1,633 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling