Login problem: "Username or password not recognize...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Login problem: "Username or password not recognized"

Hi, using Windows Vista Home Premium, unable to login to Skype, keep getting error:
"Username or password not recognized"

Here is what I have tried:

1. Disabling Firewall

2. Disabling anti-virus

3. Ensuring Skype is not running in Compatibility Mode

4. Uninstalling Skype and deleting all folders and files

5. Reinstalling latest version

6. Resetting Internet settings (Control Panel > Internet Settings > Advanced > Reset) 

7. Creating new account

8. Tried logging into several different accounts

I always get the same error. I am able to login to skype.com's website and on other computer or devices, just not the app. 

Any other ideas?

Thanx!
Chazz 

Chazz
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (8,913 Views)

Re: Login problem: "Username or password not recognized"

I've seen a simliar problem reported a few times and I don't know that a solution was ever found.  It made me suspect that there was something on that particular PC involving the Windows language setting, or a keyboard error, or...? 

Do the Skype name and password on any of the accounts where you're trying to signin consist of plain alpha characters?  No punctuation, upper case, or numbers?

I'm grasping at straws but given the steps you've already taken, if I was having that problem I'd try a Skype name and password that was as simple as possible as a troubleshooting step.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 12 (8,757 Views)

I've tried several accounts, including the one that I've had for years, which still works fine on other computers. Wondering if it has anything to do with the problem-PC having Hebrew Windows...

Chazz
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (8,739 Views)

having the same problem for almost 2 years. Started using skype 3 years ago and one day got this error "Skype name and password not recognized". Tried everything, complete uninstall, internet explorer restart, registery edit even installed skype 2.0 but still no go. There's no problem with signing in to the homepage or via smartphone so the acc is fine. I would be relieved if someone from Skype support would say "yes, there isnt any other solution than formatting the pc" At least i would stop searching for a solution and start using imo or something else.
galradir
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 12 (8,732 Views)

Chazz wrote:

I've tried several accounts, including the one that I've had for years, which still works fine on other computers. Wondering if it has anything to do with the problem-PC having Hebrew Windows...

Is your Skype language also set to Hebrew?

I have tested with setting my Skype’s language to Hebrew (English Windows) and was able to login, even with the text being written right-to-left.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6978
Message 5 of 12 (8,721 Views)

i have tried installing several times, sometimes in hebrew and sometimes in english (even though you can change the language from the menu), but neither made a difference

Chazz
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (8,719 Views)

what did you do to fix the problem?

Even I am facing the same problem now with windows7.

revathi_raman
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 12 (7,255 Views)

BUMP!

Any solution? Im having the same problem with Win7.

ppt179
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 12 (6,480 Views)

ppt179
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 12 (6,445 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same problem.  Extremely frustrating.  I can sign in on every other device but my laptop.  Same username and password.  Other people have tried using their info.  Have tried everything, obvisouly a Windows 7 64 bit issue.  ---

Edited to conform with the Community Guidelines and Etiquette

chipreno
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (6,343 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling