LifeCam Special Effects with Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

LifeCam Special Effects with Skype

The first night we set up the Microsoft webcam with microphone, we were able to use the special effects embedded with the LifeCam software (v3.22.270.0).  Now I can't make them work.  This is a big deal to my kids, how can I get the special effects back or is there another special effects package that I can integrate with my Skype account for free?

Thanks,

GHHalley

GHHalley
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (17,315 Views)

Re: LifeCam Special Effects with Skype

When you start video using Microsoft LifeCam webcam, you should also see an application called Microsoft LifeCam Dashboard running. This is the application providing “the special effects” with MS webcams. Depending on your Windows system configuration you should see an icon for this application in the system try or within the hidden icons. The icon looks like a green circle surrounded by a white circle. Click on this icon and this should start the application.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6960
Message 2 of 9 (17,311 Views)

The Dash Board does not appear on our computer (Win7 Home Premium).

Saw this in other posts and already tried to figure it out.  I don't see any settings in the software to make it appear, also.

GHHalley
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (17,304 Views)

The version of LifeCam software, which I have on my computer, is 3.60.253.0. Maybe you should update yours.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 9 (17,294 Views)

V3.60.253.0 here, I'm having the same problem as OP.  I had the system tray icon on my desktop, but when I install on my laptop (using either the CD or online drivers & firmware), I cannot get the system tray icon to enable.  

awong234
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 9 (16,505 Views)

awong234 wrote:

V3.60.253.0 here, I'm having the same problem as OP.  I had the system tray icon on my desktop, but when I install on my laptop (using either the CD or online drivers & firmware), I cannot get the system tray icon to enable.  

Have you been looking in the hidden icons? The Dashboard icon might be there.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 9 (16,498 Views)

sorted! get the icon on the desktop..then drag down to the task bar.. when you load skype or any messenger cam mode, then the icon auto appears again, but smaller in the hidden icons
bertrumrumrum
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (16,237 Views)

Ok, I i'm having this issue as well, I'm just posting here, because I don't really know how to create an "Issue". Sorry about that.

So, I just downloaded the last LifeCam (LifeCam HD-3000) software from Microsoft and set up my Skype accordingly. If I start up the LifeCam Program and try using it's built-in Effects, they work just fine but if I turn on Skype, and start a  video call and try using them (by going to the LifeCam Icon in the Task Bar, opening the little window with the Effects and all that) they just don't work and I don't know why.

Any help?

Thanks!

STM_BruceLee
Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (7,679 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've just tried the special effects in 6.7 and they still don't work.  The last release that worked was 6.1.  Rather than downgrade to that release you can utilize Manycam (manycam.com).   When/If you install it, be mindful of the add-ons (decline offers and such).  Once Manycam is running in the background and set to your LifeCam in their software, you will need to select "ManyCam Virtual Webcam" in the Skype software.  Be aware once Manycam is running, the normal LifeCam drop-down will not work.

With Manycam selected you will have access to the special effects in Manycam and in the LifeCam dashboard.  The rather annoying default Manycam logo can be disabled in their software and everything should work as it should.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1455
Message 9 of 9 (7,655 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling