Is it my computer or skype? - lag lag and oh wait,...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Is it my computer or skype? - lag lag and oh wait, a problem with your internet connection

Hello there,

I have had this on going problem with my skype. I can not have one quality call without it

1 - lagging
2 - saying there is an internet connection problem when I'm sure I'm connected to the internet.

Ok, so ill start by giving you information.

If I have an incoming call, if I click accept or deny, = lag. Then it just wont connect.
This goes for video calls as well.

I've seen skype run so smooth before, I have tried installing it, and reinstalling it.
I have another laptop on my network that when you click answer. It actually answers!
So maybe there is some settings I could tweak to improve this performance of skype?
I use high performance, and it still doesn't seem to run smoothly.

Gadgets I have:

Running a HP pavilion with AMD dual graphics card.
Internet speed of 2mb/ps (I've seen skype run better at 45 kb/ps and still works better than my laptop)

pretty sure I'm running the latest version of skype, as I downloaded it last week.

If there is any other details you need to know, sure to ask =)

Thank you for reading / scanning the important parts.

Scott.

scooter006
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (42,749 Views)

Re: Is it my computer or skype? - lag lag and oh wait, a problem with your internet connection

What type of Internet connection do you have? What download/upload speed do you see reported when you do an Internet speed test on

http://www.speedtest.net

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6368
Message 2 of 15 (42,740 Views)

Re: Is it my computer or skype? - lag lag and oh wait, a problem with your internet connection

Cable connection. (using wifi to router)

just now.

Ping = 9ms
dl speed = 48.77 Mbps
upload = 2.35 Mbps

Like I said, another laptop on my network that uses skype runs smoothly on the same internet connection.

Thanks for your reply.

scooter006
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (42,728 Views)

The connection data look very good. Try to reset Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 15 (42,724 Views)

Thank You Thank You!!!

When I reinstalled it, i was wondering why my skype name was still in there!

Thanks so much <3

Scott
scooter006
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (42,716 Views)

I am having this same problem but when I go to rename the folder.. it says Access Denied. What do i do?

kissy
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 15 (42,684 Views)

kissy wrote:

I am having this same problem but when I go to rename the folder.. it says Access Denied. What do i do?

Have you stopped your Skype from running on the computer? Go to Task Manager -> Processes tab. Kill any Skype.exe processes.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 15 (42,643 Views)

Hey again ruwim,

Looks like that only solves the problem for the first person i call or receive on skype. After that. It happens again and again. It doesnt matter how many "skype old" folders i make. It keeps making skype lag and uncontrollable. I know i marked this as solved.But it's far from it. What you suggested is a short solution.

So where should i look into now? =(
scooter006
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (41,891 Views)

The problem might be with your router, Firewall or even Antivirus application.

You are saying that you have the latest Skype version, but what version actually are you seeing when you go to Help -> About Skype.

Also make sure that your Skype is not running in Compatibility mode.

Right click on the desktop shortcut, select Properties and then the Compatibility tab. Make sure that no options are selected there.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 15 (41,880 Views)

Thanks again. It seems to fix the problem once and for all! Thank you very much! <3

The compatibility was checked on for windows xp SP3. Yup, there would be the problem..

Scott.

scooter006
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 15 (41,860 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling