Invalid port???

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Invalid port???

I'm a computer dunce. Just putting that out there. I just know that I want to stop skype from starting when My computer starts, btu when I go into option to change in and try to save, I get an error saying Invalid port. also the skype homepage isn't showing, it says that it's unavailable. I'm using a wireless connection. I had not had skype in a while and finally I re0downloaded it to talk to family and it worked fine for abotu a week, but then it started to jam up my laptop on start up.

SeleneLilitu
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (10,027 Views)

Re: Invalid port???

My thinking is that it's a good idea to not start Skype when Windows starts, that it's better to let Windows boot up and stablize and then start Skype.

To prevent Skype from starting with Windows, click on Tools > Options > General settings. Uncheck the box "Start Skype when I start Windows" and save the change.

If the port error still happens, click on Tools > Options > Advanced settings > Connection.  What number do you see in the "Use port ..... for incoming connections" box? 

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 8 (10,024 Views)

I'll need to re download it but I don't remember seeing a number. I tried to un check the start skype when windows starts box but I couldn't save the cnage because I got the error message.

SeleneLilitu
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (10,019 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok.  If you re-download use this link for the latest version:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

And before you do re-install, you might do a "complete" uninstall with the steps shown here:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

Often times just reinstalling won't correct Skype files or registry entries that have become corrupt.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 8 (10,018 Views)

Thanks I tried all of that and I'll let you know how it works! only one thing: when I was copying back in the folders I got messages saying "there is already a file with this name" etc. It's possibly because I logged into skype before I remember there was a last step. I kept both files every time the message came up. Is that ok?

SeleneLilitu
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (10,011 Views)

You shouldn't have duplicate files.  That's why I suggested you do the complete uinstall before reinstalling.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 8 (10,010 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have been having the same problem, I use windows vista.

There is no port number entered in that box, in response to which port I use. how do i find which port to enter?

I used 80, to try it and it worked, so I was able to check the button, but that's also the alternative port number suggested for incoming connections.

LeneB
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (5,713 Views)

The incoming port number should be set to any value between 1024 and 65535. See also this:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA148/which-ports-need-to-be-open-to-use-skype-for-windows-desktop

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6967
Message 8 of 8 (5,705 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling